8 replies to this topic

#1 fr0sty

fr0sty

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

I love most of the new hd update, but the semi hollows all took a hit, imho.  They all seem to have lost a lot of body.  Any of you played around yet with customizing them to beef them back up?

#2 jdenkevitz

jdenkevitz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

I agree the 335's are too thin in fw2.0. I prefer the 'old' version.

You can decrease the pot resistance value to somewhat alleviate the change.

My Band: www.steamtheory.com

My Youtube vids: http://www.youtube.c...y?feature=watch

Also post as "germanicus".

#3 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Yup, much more scooped sounding on the bridge. Staying on 1.9 for now.

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

not trying to be argumentative here...

but i found the semi's and jazzboxes far improved. they all seemed pretty derivative before.

just different strokes for different folks i guess.

#5 McLenison

McLenison

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I use the middle position rockabilly.  Nice "sparkle" to it.

#6 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5273 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

The bridge pickup on the semi model is definitely a bit brighter and scooped sounding. I do understand what people liked about the old model. I like that model quite a bit, too. It was nice and thick - meaty. I just don't know if it was accurate to a real 335 or not. I have a Gibson ES-137 which has the 498T and 490R pickups in it, so it's not quite as vintage sounding as the 335s PAF's, but even so, the bridge pickup can actually get quite piercing. So I guess I don't know if I liked the old model because it wasn't as authentic or what... I do find that there's much more difference now between the Les Paul model and the 335. Before the update, these models sounded pretty similar to me.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#7 nikoniablue

nikoniablue

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSt Albans, England

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

I agree with Phil - the 335 sounds more distinct from the Les Paul now (it may be suffering slightly/relatively from the massive improvement in the LP).  Otherwise I find the semis have a livelier, and I suspect more authentic, sound than before, based on comparisons with a Tokai 335.  Frankly, the jazz models are still a bit weak compared to the real thing - the ES175 especially lacks the magic of the original - but to my taste they are improved.  I suspect a lot of the difference in opinions on the models has to do with the way they react differently now to people's amplifiers.  Just my two cents worth......

#8 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I suspect a lot of the difference in opinions on the models has to do with the way they react differently now to people's amplifiers.  Just my two cents worth......

I agree completely. In my case, axe-fx virtual amplifiers. HD strat and 335 lost the magical interaction I was getting with plexis and dumbles respectively. I know that with enough eqing I could get usable sounds but the mojo is gone.

#9 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

The only 335 I have owned is an epi dot with Lollar imperials underwound. I have not yet installed 2.0 FW but am thinking I will dig the new 335 stuff more. Once the bug with spank is worked around, going by clips I like the new spank better as well. In fact my fave 335 patch on old FW was a semi with minihum in neck. I mix that with the mags on a p90 and I dig the combo.

I guess if I was using a plexi I would use LP or Junior and not a 335, usually I play 335s clean or with some grit, deluxe reverbs etc. I do dig neck pickups through zen drives etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users