Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x to PA or to Blackstar HT-5?

miojma

Hi Guys,

I am currently using my POD HD500X connected to a PA active speaker (12", Behringer) and have no complains with it... But I've been thinking for a while on trying it with a valve amp.

I have found online a few people using a Blackstar HT-5, little and affordable valve amp, and they seems to be happy with the sounds.

- Is it worth the mess of the 4CM, modify all my patches, ... for the 'valves'? Will be noticeable the difference? Or is still straight to PA the best amplification for the POD?

I play mainly modern progressive rock/hard rock, so I will be using cleans as much as distortions.

Cheers.

You could go into the effects return to use it as a power amp, 4CM is a waste of time IMO unless you REALLY want to be able to use the preamp of the amp as well be able to use the amp models in the POD....

My only real concern is are you intending to gig with this setup? 5W is a bit light for keeping up with a full band :(

I don't mind dealing with the 4CM to be able to use the preamp of the amp, as I think it can be a nice addition to some patches. You know, the more possibilities the better ;)

Regarding the 5W, I can always mic the amp, and that's my main question, will be noticed the difference in sound quality, the nice valve sound everybody loves, or the POD is too close to hear the difference unless you compare it with good amps at proper volumes?

Unfortunately weight makes a huge difference living in a big city with no car.

The people who'll claim to notice it the most will be the unemployed guitar players at the back of the hall, and they'll most likely say how much better it would sound if you had a REAL tube amp like a Marshall, Fender, etc. I thought that the biggest difference was in the cleans, and that, through the clean channel, the POD ODs and distortions sounded much better than through the POD amps. That said, I thought that the ht5c distortion channel sounded awful. I now have an Engl Gigmaster head with a closed back vht112. An all around major improvement with the el84s and closed back cab. Even the POD amps, run into the Engl fx return w/o fx loop, sound much better. Likewise, the Engl distortion channel sounds great. However, this rig is neither small nor cheap. If you're happy with your sound thru the Behringers, see if you can't borrow someone's tube amp to try it out first.

Regarding the 5W, I can always mic the amp, and that's my main question, will be noticed the difference in sound quality, the nice valve sound everybody loves, or the POD is too close to hear the difference...

This question will never be satisfactory answered...because there really is no answer. It's all subjective. You're always gonna get the same two responses, in roughly equally numbers:

1) Nothing will ever be better than tubes.

and

2) Today's modelers are so good that the best ears in the business sometimes have trouble telling the difference.

It boils down to your personal preference. You can get excellent results either way.

• Upvote 1

Spider Valve = Pod into a tube power amp = awesome. :)

That said I prefer the HD into a SS power amp and cab. Lately I 've been digging the response from closed back cabs. Why? Time and curiosity.

An HD through a FRFR is an excellent way to go as well - portable, light weight & the patches should be able to go straight to the PA.

Bottom line is try a trip through tube land as it might do it for you. As long as you can borrow or not break the bank, it is fun (power soak anyone!). :D

IMO the 4CM is a hassle unless you have an amp that has that killer pre that must be used. Otherwise straight into the fx in jack it goes. Less cables to trip on too. :)

Hi Guys,

I am currently using

But I've been thinking for a while on trying it with a valve amp.

for the 'valves'? Will be noticeable the difference? Or is still straight to PA the best amplification for the POD?

Cheers.

The goal for (working) performers is to make it good for the crowd. That means the final result (the pa) is the most important part of the show.

I don't give two lollipops about what sort of crappy monitors there are on stage, as long as FOH sounds pristine.

If you want an amp, that is your choice. But the goal isn't for you to be "feeling the roar of tubes".

The people who'll claim to notice it the most will be the unemployed guitar players at the back of the hall, and they'll most likely say how much better it would sound if you had a REAL tube amp like a Marshall, Fender, etc. I thought that the biggest difference was in the cleans, and that, through the clean channel, the POD ODs and distortions sounded much better than through the POD amps. That said, I thought that the ht5c distortion channel sounded awful. I now have an Engl Gigmaster head with a closed back vht112. An all around major improvement with the el84s and closed back cab. Even the POD amps, run into the Engl fx return w/o fx loop, sound much better. Likewise, the Engl distortion channel sounds great. However, this rig is neither small nor cheap. If you're happy with your sound thru the Behringers, see if you can't borrow someone's tube amp to try it out first.

Yeah, well, if you use stage props (backdrops, fake cabs, etc) then those 5 guys leaning up against the post saying "I could have done it better" won't know what you are actually using.