Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for vocal harmonies recordings

metalkrapo

Hey all,

I'm almost about to buy a Helix, but I need to know what vocal harmonies sound like. I haven't found anything about it except this short video where they sound ok:

Do you have any links to other videos or audio where I can listen to vocal harmonies on the Helix? Or would one of you be kind enough to record a quick clip?

Also can it generate several harmonies together?

Thanks a lot!

I guess I'd always assumed the Dual Harmony effect would only work on guitars, but who knows?  Maybe it just duplicates and re-pitches the input whatever it might be.  But that would be the effect you'd have to use to accomplish the harmony parts.  Just set the key (major/minor), the interval, type of scale and give it a try.  Let us know if it works...

I'm not convinced that's the Helix in that youtube vid providing the vocal harmony. Any harmonizer in the Helix that I've tried on vocals doesn't seem to perform any formant processing, so vocal harmonies sound artificial. Nowhere near as good as harmonies from a TC Helicon box.

Yes, it works on vocals but doesn't sound very natural. There's no formant correction so voices pitched upward sound a shade like The Chipmunks, and voiced pitched downward sound weird in the opposite way.

Also, it will intelligently change intervals between say major and minor 3rd intelligently, but won't go to 4ths or other appropriate intervals without manual (footswitch) parameter changes.

I've been enjoying the vocal harmonizer myself.  I set the exp pedal as controller for key, as sometimes I forget to change it before starting a song.  I blend just a little, maybe 16-20 percent, into what I am doing usually a 3rd above where I am singing, and I think it sounds great.  It adds a bit of depth to vocals, but does not sound synthetic or un-natural.  Once you get up to 25% and above, then it starts to sound a bit more pronounced, processed, and yeah, not very natural.  I have never used any other harmonizers so I can't compare it to anything else.  I prefer to sing with other people in harmony whenever possible in any case.

mind you, if there was one built into the helix.... ;)

i think it might be possible..

even if there were some super chip munching fx modules like this that used a whole processor that you could run in the helix it would be good i think.. there are 2 processors and i would happily use up one on super harmony effects or something similar