Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Capturing an IR of a Helix cab configuration?

Verne-Bunsen

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions for those of you with some experience capturing your own IRs. I've been using the stock Helix cabs extensively of late and I've got some configurations that I'm really liking. Mostly they are varying combinations of multiple cabs in parallel with different mics and the like. Nothing groundbreaking there I know, but it's rather DSP intensive and also soaks up my parallel-path routing options, limiting me in that regard. I'm wondering about the feasibility of capturing those configurations as an IR and then being able to plug them back into the patch as a single IR block. My goal is to maintain the sound, reduce DSP consumption and eliminate some parallel-path routing. Sounds kind of lofty when put like that... 

So my questions are:

1) Is this worth pursuing? Which is to say, can I expect to accurately capture the sound I'm getting from multiple parallel cabs in a single IR? I am using some Early Reflections on some cabs, max 30% or so, which is a consideration.

2) Can you please point me in the direction of the necessary software for making such a capture? I'm running Logic Pro X on an iMac for a DAW. 

3) Most (all) of what I've found in researching capturing IRs has pertained to capturing a physical environment or cab; I've not found much (anything) on capturing a simulated environment. There is much discussion on how to generate the impulse, what kind of amps to use for driving a cab, but how would I approach this within Helix? Will external hardware be required or can it all be done within the digital realm?

It's a lot of questions I know; I generally like to figure out the basics on my own before asking for guidance but I'm really not sure where to start on this one. Thanks in advance for any input!

-VB

disable any other processing, aside from the cabs, and run the impulse through your cabs, using IR utility.

Done.

No amp, which is only required to drive the real cab but makes no sense when sampling a virtual IR.. I'm not sure, though, that the interaction between the various Helix Cabs will be mantained this way.

Just try it :)