#1 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

I did a test of putting single coilsof strat in a masonite plank body  and sounded much louder and better, so twhy this body sounds louder than the strat?

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#2 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

so why this body sounds louder than the strat?

The most likely reason is that you had the pickups closer to the strings on the masonite body.

#3 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

but it is possible I adjust the height of the strings or the pickups?

The most likely reason is that you had the pickups closer to the strings on the masonite body.

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#4 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

but it is possible I adjust the height of the strings or the pickups?

Oh, sorry. I just realized you meant you did it in Workbench. I thought you were talking about real pickups in real guitars. My mistake :P

#5 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

yes, I'm asking the workbench. it is possible to adjust the on the workbench height of  strings or pickups?

Oh, sorry. I just realized you meant you did it in Workbench. I thought you were talking about real pickups in real guitars. My mistake :P

#6 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

yes, I'm asking the workbench. it is possible to adjust the on the workbench height of  strings or pickups?

Not the height, no. You can adjust the volume of individual strings.

My original answer about height was because I thought you were asking about volume changes in a real guitar, not in workbench.

#7 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

sorry my Inglish is not very good, what I noticed was that the spank 2, on the workbench, when I change to body mansonite plank, the sound is much louder and better, brighter, more quack, but in life real, the body of mansonite should not be higher than the strat right?

Not the height, no. You can adjust the volume of individual strings.

My original answer about height was because I thought you were asking about volume changes in a real guitar, not in workbench.

#8 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

sorry my Inglish is not very good, what I noticed was that the spank 2, on the workbench, when I change to body mansonite plank, the sound is much louder and better, brighter, more quack, but in life real, the body of mansonite should not be higher than the strat right?

Your english is fine, and better than my Spanish or Portugese.

I would expect there to be some volume variations when using different bodies, both in Workbench and in real life. Masonite is very, very stiff and might account for some of the variation in volume.

I would certainly expect the tone to be different when changing the guitar body, but "better" is subjective. If it sounds better to you, go ahead and use it.

#9 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

ok, you're right, better is subjective, but I found odd because it sounded much louder than the body spank

Your english is fine, and better than my Spanish or Portugese.

I would expect there to be some volume variations when using different bodies, both in Workbench and in real life. Masonite is very, very stiff and might account for some of the variation in volume.

I would certainly expect the tone to be different when changing the guitar body, but "better" is subjective. If it sounds better to you, go ahead and use it.

#10 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

ok, you're right, better is subjective, but I found odd because it sounded much louder than the body spank

Unfortunately I can't try this as my guitar is in Australia, but it would be useful to have someone else change the body and see if they also see a large volume change. Anybody able to quickly test that and chime in here?

#11 fremen

fremen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

that's what I did too and yes, more volume

#12 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Maybe perhaps that's just how they modeled it. 

Either they modeled how loud it is, or they glitched to normalize the levels on the models.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#13 rumrill1

rumrill1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I put a Masonite body on the Rick 12 bridge model. Dunno about louder but it sounds smoother & fuller to my ears.

#14 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

I put masonite body in all the positions of the spank, was much better in my opinion

#15 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

My guess is that the Masonite Plank is a body for a Danelecto Guitar - perhaps specifically the Coral Sitar (see http://danguitars.com/HISTORY.html for the connections).  

Guitars designed by Nathan Daniel (1912-1994) never reached the pantheon of instruments made by Fender, Gibson, and Martin. But in their own way they were no less influential, their low price tag making them readily available to the masses. Cost cutting was achieved through materials and construction. As with this 3012 "short horn" model in "bronze" finish, the top and back of many Danelectro instruments were made from one-eighth-inch Masonite glued over a poplar framework, and covered over with a painted finish (including trendy colors like fuchsia and peach).

From the Wikepedia page on Masonite it becomes obvious that it isn't made in guitar body thinkness, so I expect the difference is that the body resonates more than the solid Strat body would do - the top and bottom is only 1/8" thick.  In fact the resonance is how the Coral Sitar worked - the drone strings are only connected to the main strings through the body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users