9 replies to this topic

#1 swing_girl

swing_girl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Ater using the HD upgrades for a couple weeks now, I am generally very happy with the improvements in sound.  However, I do find that the Semi models lack the mid-range punch of a semi-hollow guitar like the 335.  I do not remember how the earlier firmware sounded like but I do not recall not liking the models before.  I feel that now the bridge pickup version of the Semi sounds better than the neck pickup.  FYI, I am using same amps before and after the HD upgrade.

Anyone has similar observation?

#2 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

...I do find that the Semi models lack the mid-range punch of a semi-hollow guitar like the 335.  I do not remember how the earlier firmware sounded like but I do not recall not liking the models before...

I'm still playing the 335 version of my 700, it's one of my favorite models..

I really like it a lot, I can hardly imagine a better model than this for the same guitar..

#3 Junis

Junis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

I know a lot of people who have this opinion, that the semi in the old Variax are great, I just can not understand how a model line 6 worsening rather than improving (I know this is subjective), I also agree that the semi in 2.0 is very thin and weak

#4 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Same here. I like 335's with really thick mids but the one they chose to model for HD has a lot more high end which would be more suitable for cutting through a hard rock mix than what I use a 335 for. The pre HD 335 was perfect for me plus I've been playing it since the first variaxes ere released. BTW- I feel the same way about the strat neck which is a very important sound for me.

Ater using the HD upgrades for a couple weeks now, I am generally very happy with the improvements in sound.  However, I do find that the Semi models lack the mid-range punch of a semi-hollow guitar like the 335.  I do not remember how the earlier firmware sounded like but I do not recall not liking the models before.  I feel that now the bridge pickup version of the Semi sounds better than the neck pickup.  FYI, I am using same amps before and after the HD upgrade.

Anyone has similar observation?

#5 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

A lot of players like the scooped sound they chose for some HD models but not me. I don't mind it for a les paul metal situation but I don't ever use a 335 for that (or strat for that matter). 

I know a lot of people who have this opinion, that the semi in the old Variax are great, I just can not understand how a model line 6 worsening rather than improving (I know this is subjective), I also agree that the semi in 2.0 is very thin and weak

#6 swing_girl

swing_girl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

This is exactly how I feel.  I hope there will be an update that deal with the Semi and the Spank positions 2/4 soon.  For the time being, I am going to change the semi pickups to the Lester pickups later to see if I can get closer to that 335 sound.

#7 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

Let us know if that helps. I suspect that the lester and semi pups are pretty similar though. Scooped paf's.

This is exactly how I feel.  I hope there will be an update that deal with the Semi and the Spank positions 2/4 soon.  For the time being, I am going to change the semi pickups to the Lester pickups later to see if I can get closer to that 335 sound.

#8 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5549 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Regarding the Strat 2 & 4 positions, take a look at this thread I started here: http://line6.com/sup...-of-the-quacks/

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#9 swing_girl

swing_girl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Regarding the Strat 2 & 4 positions, take a look at this thread I started here: http://line6.com/sup...-of-the-quacks/

Thanks, I went there and added my vote to the poll  :D

#10 Junis

Junis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

I did the test in neck, switch  humbucking semi to the les paul improves much, but in the bridge, the 2 humbuckings (semi and les paul,) sound exactly identical, seems not to have any difference

Let us know if that helps. I suspect that the lester and semi pups are pretty similar though. Scooped paf's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: variax, jtv, semi, 335, hd upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users