Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M9 MIDI 'scene' select box? (Morningstar MC6?)

ColonelForbin

Looking for a small (affordable) MIDI control box for M9 to allow access to the 'scenes'. Would something like the Morningstar MC6 work? Any other good (less expensive?) options out there?

http://www.morningstarfx.com/

thanks!

edit - perhaps Disaster Area DMC is a good option?

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-3xl-gen3

Anybody?.... :)

Looks like the Disaster Area can do basic scene/preset bank up/down, fx bypass, and can control looper; the Morningstar is more complex, and fully 'programmable', and can do more complex multi-unit control, IE, M9 + H9 + Strymon, etc.. For my more simple (for now..) needs, going to start with the Disaster Area; found a gen2 for a decent price, it will be here tomorrow!

Here's a video explaining the Disaster Area with L6 firmware:

Here's a video showing the Morningstar controlling multiple units, including an M9:

Ok people!! Listen up; because if you are not using an outboard MIDI controller with your M9 (or M5) you are MISSING OUT!!!

I got a new Disaster Area DMC-XL3 (gen2) for a nicely discounted price from their Reverb.com store, and got around to figuring out how to make it work with my M9 last night. It took me a couple tries before I sorted it out, but overall, it couldn't be easier.

The mistake I made, if anyone else goes down this path, is setting the DMC to preset mode - in this case, since I'm only using the M9 and not chaining devices it needed to be set to scroll mode, and disable preset mode.

I also need to experiment more with the looper mode; for now, I've also got that disabled. You can configure it on the fly just using the unit itself, no computer needed. Mine came loaded with the most recent firmware, so it's about as easy as it gets. It lets you choose how you want to control the looper, you can trigger record, overdub, stop, play, etc.

Here's how it functions, in scroll mode, looper and preset mode disabled, and only set for one MIDI device (M9)

-left button scrolls down one scene, right button scrolls up one scene. 

-center button - when looper and presets are disabled - does nothing if you just tap it, if you hold it down it bypasses all FX on the M9. VERY HANDY!!! This lets you scroll to a new 'scene' then toggle on all the FX with one button.

There are 24 different 'scenes' that this will scroll through; the M9 is now a whole new world of options for me!

I am going  to test it with my rig over the next couple of days; done work at 4 tonight and my days off are Monday-Tuesday this week, which randomly coincided with my wife being out of town... 

And....the Cubs are playing, free Bob Weir Birthday Webcast, and Phish webcast from Jacksonville! Epic weekend begins in 4 hours and 13 minutes..... :)

For what it's worth, the gen3 version does offer more functionality, and the four button as well - the gen2 cannot trigger the M9 tuner, the gen3 three and four button can. Not a big deal to me, I use the tuner on my G70 wireless anyway, since the M9 is in my amp's FX loop. 

For people who want to use chain the M9 with other MIDI devices, the DMC gen2 might not get you there. But for folks like me just wanting to expand the M9, it's stellar!

And you can find used gen2 DMC-3Xl on Reverb and other places for pretty close to $120 to $140 or so, and the gen 3 for around $190 - there is actually a gen3 on there for $165 right now!

https://reverb.com/p/disaster-area-designs-dmc-3xl-gen2

https://reverb.com/item/3147044-disaster-area-designs-dmc-3-gen-3-2016-black

And, Disater Area offer right angle MIDI cables made by Best-Tronics; so will likely snag one of those once I get this situated on my pedalboard.

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/right-angle-midi-cable

Now I need to spend some time actually dialing in new scenes on the M9! So stoked; will also test to see what it does to the audio when switching between scenes; I would imagine it will not do delay spillover, but I don't know yet, in terms of how quickly it changes up the audio.. Seems instant on the M9, but I haven't tested it with it being connected to my amp yet.

Cheers!!!

Ok, this thing rocks!! (Disaster Area DMC-3XL gen2). Simple, but effective.

Some notes on usage:

- no delay / reverb spillover when changing scenes

I ended up positioning mine on the top left of my Trailer Trash flat board; M9 below it slightly to the right so I can get to the scene up / down buttons on the DMC, and the Mission EXP pedals to the right of the M9. Since I have that third button set up to do FX bypass, it has to be pressed and held to do anything, so I don't accidentally trigger a function change. Works great! Ended up having just the right amount of space left to mount the channel switcher for my Friedman amp - ready to rock now!!!

Tricky cable routing tip: I am running the George L cable for the far right EXP pedal through the inside of the EXP pedal next to it! I cut holes in the plastic hole plugs to allow the cable through but still keep dust out. If you look at the middle pedal you can see the George L cable coming out under the jack for that pedal.

At some point I am going to get a right angled MIDI cable from Best Tronics; but for now the MIDI cable that came with the DMC fits in there fine, and coils up in the open space. I tested it all today, sounding great! So cool to be able to create all these variations of filter/mod/delay/verb in different combinations. 

Only slight oddity, the system settings - fulltime noise gate and exp pedal assignments - are PER SCENE - not global - so you have to set them up for each scene. IE, set FX 1 to no exp, FX 2 to exp 2, FX3 to exp 1, etc. Though that makes perfect sense, since each group of FX would likely need specific EXP assignments based on what the effect is and how you intend to use it. 

Cheers!!! :)

20161017_202111_zpswelnxpw5.jpg

20161017_040030_zpszcrefkt1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hey Man, very useful information... I have an M5, and was considering to get me a MIDI controller DMC-3 Disaster Area. Basically for patch change (up/down), and now reading this I think it is possible right?

• 2 years later...

Thank you so much for this post. VERY helpful while I was looking for a midi foot controller for my Line 6 M9.

I ended up purchasing the DMC-4 from Area Disaster and so far I really like it. Thanks for the tip about the presents being disabled. That had me tricked until I came back to your post.

My only issue now is the FX lights while I'm using my DMC-4 to control the looper. I've attached a video below. Anyone know how I can fix this. I want to ALWAYS see my effects lights. However when I go to use any looper features (overdub, play, stop etc), the FX lights turn off and the looper lights turn on. The FX all still work but I just can't look down and see what FX are engaged or disengaged until I actually click to turn one on (or off). Then the FX lights come back on. Any workarounds or fixes out there?

Anyone else had similar issues with other Midi Controllers?

I'm assuming I can learn to go in and mess with Midi code. That may get me in more trouble than it's worth though. 

Thank you so much for this post. VERY helpful while I was looking for a midi foot controller for my Line 6 M9.

I ended up purchasing the DMC-4 from Area Disaster and so far I really like it. Thanks for the tip about the presents being disabled. That had me tricked until I came back to your post.

My only issue now is the FX lights while I'm using my DMC-4 to control the looper. I've attached a video below. Anyone know how I can fix this. I want to ALWAYS see my effects lights. However when I go to use any looper features (overdub, play, stop etc), the FX lights turn off and the looper lights turn on. The FX all still work but I just can't look down and see what FX are engaged or disengaged until I actually click to turn one on (or off). Then the FX lights come back on. Any workarounds or fixes out there?

Anyone else had similar issues with other Midi Controllers?

I'm assuming I can learn to go in and mess with Midi code. That may get me in more trouble than it's worth though.