13 replies to this topic

#1 jalam71

jalam71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi all, just got my HD500 unit.  Its was used.  Works great but when playing directly through the unit using headphones I can hear a relatively loud hum that is constant.  When I touch my effects buttons it goes away and is crystal clear. When I touch the looper or up down buttons on the left it goes away by about half. Of course its more pronounced on tones having heavy distortion effects. Seems to be a ground problem.  I've checked and its not the cord, nor my guitar.  Its definately the POD.  Hum if affected only when i touch the pod.  Question is how can I fix this without having to run a ground wire to my toe?  Thanks.

#2 guitarplayer0376

guitarplayer0376

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

Try the ground/lift switch next to the expression pedal. Other than that, it is probably noise coming from the wall, dirty power....I actually use a Furman P-1800 PF....works really well.

#3 singlecut69

singlecut69

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

The HD500 has a ground lift switch?

#4 Mr_Arkadin

Mr_Arkadin

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2553 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

The HD500 has a ground lift switch?

Yes, but it affects the XLRs only.

There is definitely an earth (ground) loop going on from your description. They are a pain to track down.

For instance, if you have the USB connected, try disconnecting that. Also try powering all of your equipment from the same outlet. Other options may include using a DI box.

#5 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

just through the cans? try different cans

I'M SO HAPPY!

#6 jalam71

jalam71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

OK, did some more testing.  Its certainly a grounding issue with the POD.  If I'm plugged into the wall with the provided power transformer, then play using the headphones directly though the unit without an amp connected, it hums like a church choir.  But when I play normally through the amp, all is well. I then had the unit sitting on top of my amp after I had shut the amp power off but still had the cable connecting pod to amp plugged in.  Issue found! When monitoring through the headphones, the cable connecting the amp to pod was now allowing the signal to go to ground by going through the amp system and into the house power outlet - as it should.  I could touch the guitar cable into any of the pod's 1/4" jacks on the back and hear the buzz disappear when i did.  So technically nothing is wrong with the unit internally.

... but things could be better.

Suggestion for Line 6:  Improve the POD power supply adapter.  Sometimes late at night its nice to use headphones to practice and not wake the neighbors.  All that is needed to solve the humm/ground problem when using the POD as a stand alone unit is for line 6 to change the power supply transformer cord into one that has the three prong type plug so that the unit can get a true ground through the power outlet. 

Hasn't anyone had this issue before?  seems odd no one else has mentioned this.  Maybe something is wrong with my unit after all.

For now I'm going to get a negative tip 9V-3A power adapter off ebay that has the ground circuit.  That should fix the hum when going ampless with cans.

#7 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

The grounding thing is because the POD sits behind a DC transformer from which it doesn't take an earth reference; this is not required because the internal voltage is low enough that it is not considered to be dangerous.

Ordinarily, the POD would take it's earth reference from something plugged into it, whether it is via USB to a PC or via TS or XLR to mixer/monitors/etc. (This is also why connecting a USB sometimes creates a ground loop through the POD to your monitors)

It is designed, however, such that it can be used without an earth reference and it shouldn't need the case to be grounded (except internally) to prevent hum. I would say, therefore, that there's something wrong with it.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

#8 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Well done.

Let me get this straight.

You have a 3 pin cord from outlet that has an earth. The other end earth has a jack connected and the POD's PSU is plugged in the remaining 2pins. Clever!

#9 jalam71

jalam71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

rootmusic, thanks for that idea.  I was thinking or doing something similar by modding the original power supply, but before I cut into it I wanted to see if i can find a compatible power supply and just buy a new unit online.  I found several that have the correct negative tip 9v 3A power but none so far have a three prong grounded power cord.  Still looking. 

For now I may just make me one of the aformentioned ground cords.  Thanks.

#10 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

You could just tie a copper lead to a water pipe and run it to your jack or chassis.

Re reading I see what you've done now you have a plug that just connects only to earth in a power strip or wall and that goes to your jack.

I might just see if it quietens mine down with a long to the waterpipe cable first. Damn I just chucked out one of those protective covers.

#11 PerS

PerS

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hi
Had the same probem and found three issues. Groundloop was one, that coverd above.

I have two lamps in my music room one flourescent lamp and a halogen lamp. One plugd in the same outlet as my poodhd pro. Bothe caused a backround hum. The flourescent lamp was easy as it was only heard turned on. The halogen lamp was not that easy as it was no corelation turend on or off. I found it when I moved the pluggs around and forgot to connect the transformer...
/ Per

#12 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Didn't work for me, not that there was a hum to begin with anyway. 

#13 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1260 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

here a nice informative video you can find interesting

#14 Guitarwildman

Guitarwildman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

If it's truly a ground loop hum...

First, I would use an Ebtech hum eliminator (cheap) or the HD500 for the 1/4" cables (see if it get's rid of the hum).

If it doesn't, then my next step would be to start checking the other stuff plugged into your wall receptacles and try using an Ebtech Hum-X (it could  be another beast is messing up the HD500 ground path).

Oh actually, step one is to get  a cheap receptacle tester form the hardware store to test all  of the receptacles.

I had ground loop hums for years, now I don't... oh yeah.. as a LAST ditch effort (only if you're playing a gig that has crappy receptacles) you can you can use 3 prong to 2 prong for other gear - It get's rid of the hum for the evening gig, however, you lose your ground derr... 

Oh yeah... it could be that you need to use a noise gate on some of your patches, they are sort of a necessary evil sometimes... reduce hum.. but lose some tone gusto?... If you run out of room on your patch because you have a volume pedal in it, I usually delete the volume pedal effect, and make the EXP-2 controller have the amp channel volume controlled by EXP-2 to free up enough room for a noise gate. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hum, hd500, buzz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users