16 replies to this topic

#1 tscoolberth

tscoolberth

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

This may be answered elsewhere but does anyone have any experience with switching out the magnetic pickups on their JTV?  Or, is the design so integrated that going with after-market pickups totally impractical?'

JTV-89, ESP-LTD Hex-7, Schecter V-1, Jackson RR3, Jackson KVXMG, Douglas Hadron 7 string

Laney IRT Studio head, Jet City 1x12" cab

Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 w/ Strymon pre-amp mod .

Mustang 1 15w practice amp with Celestion spkr upgrade.

#2 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

Should be easy of the replacements are the same size.  There are wiring diagrams on this forum. 

#3 davidb7170

davidb7170

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

I replaced all 3 of my JTV-69S's single coils with DiMarzio's Paul Gilbert Noiseless single coils -- had no problems with the fit. I did not want to remove all the connections between the face plate and the internals of the guitar, so I just removed the grounding conductors and was able to flip the assembly up into a workable position. Things are tight if you do this, but doable. I did have to open it up again, as the pickup covers color I ordered with the DiMarzio's didn't match. I never really realized the faceplate was mint green (looks white until you compare side by side), so I ordered DiMarzio mint green pickup covers -- generic strat pickup covers will not work on those, as the DiMarzio single coils have a bit more "innards", and they require taller covers and a thinner gauge of plastic on the covers...

I also have a JTV-59 with the humbuckers -- actually was my first JTV. I never felt the need to replace those pups, as they sound good to me. The 69S's stock pups sounded good too, except for he typical single coil hum -- I've been a Fender guy for over 40 years, but had gotten spoiled by the lack of noise in my more recent humbucker guitars, and the Variaxes I've had, so I swapped them with noiseless and now it's as quiet or quieter than my HB guitars... I'm probably going to swap out my '78 strat's single coils with them. My '73 Tele Deluxe already has Seth Love wide range HB's.

You weren't specific as to the JTV model. I know of numerous other posters on the boards here who have swapped out their 59's stock humbuckers for the pickup of their choice. Haven't heard of anyone changing out the 89's pups, though.....

My 2 cents,

Dave

#4 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

I changed the pickups on my 59 and it was the almost the same as any other guitar. Just desolder the old ones and solder in the new ones. The only difference was on the 59 you are soldering to a board.

#5 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

None of my JTVs have any original pickups in them. For now all have duncan prails and one has duncan lipstick in middle. Next one will have fralins and lollar.

#6 tscoolberth

tscoolberth

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I have the JTV 89. So, I'm looking for pups suited to hi-gain metal ... probably Seymour Duncan Black Winters when they come to the USA. http://www.seymourdu...t/black_winter/

JTV-89, ESP-LTD Hex-7, Schecter V-1, Jackson RR3, Jackson KVXMG, Douglas Hadron 7 string

Laney IRT Studio head, Jet City 1x12" cab

Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 w/ Strymon pre-amp mod .

Mustang 1 15w practice amp with Celestion spkr upgrade.

#7 milesargall

milesargall

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

To restart this thread, I'm looking at putting in Bare Knuckle Pickups in - particularly an humbucker sized P90.
Any reason I shouldn't do this?? Do I need to be able to coil split for the modelling???

#8 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

The modeling does not use the Mag pickups at all.

#9 israz99

israz99

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

You might use the mag pickups with modeling guitars, remember you have the option of blending both in WB. Now, about the idea of changing the mag pickups, this is actually something I have previously asked and although there were some answers it is still very difficult for someone who is not an expert, I've changed the pickups of one Epi I used to have but this is a bit more complicated and I would not like to ruin a guitar that is 7 times more expensive than the Epi. Someone should post a video about how to do such task. we'd really appreciate it.  

#10 FrozenOzone

FrozenOzone

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I am not too sure if you had seen this but here is a diagram of the pickup's for all the JTV's.

http://line6.com/sup...ng-diagrams-r64

Agreed, I/we would love for some one to make a video on how to replace the pickup's 59 or 89 and one on the 69.  I haven't replaced mine yet but will after my warranty is over next summer.

#11 sdre9096

sdre9096

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hi Guys. 

Im confused how to do this with my 59 JTV. I bought a set of Seymour Duncan 59 pickups. How exactly do I install them? I opened up the back and it was a nightmare LOL. Do I just take out the original PUPS and solder them right there? Thanks

#12 ricstudioc

ricstudioc

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMesa Az

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Definately watching this thread!!  Although the single-coils on my new 69 are absolutely gorgeous, I find the stock HB to be a bit harsh and have pondered swapping it out.  Nice to know that it's feasible, and others have done so.  I'll be checking out those wiring schematics.......

The amazing thing about the Dancing Bear is not how gracefully it dances - but that it dances at all.

#13 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Lots of folks have swapped pickups.  There are wiring diagrams posted in this forum.  Search for them.  It's not hard to do if you know how to solder to the board where the pickups connect.

#14 sdre9096

sdre9096

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Lots of folks have swapped pickups.  There are wiring diagrams posted in this forum.  Search for them.  It's not hard to do if you know how to solder to the board where the pickups connect.

If thats the case this is beyond my scope. 

#15 israz99

israz99

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

This may be answered elsewhere but does anyone have any experience with switching out the magnetic pickups on their JTV?  Or, is the design so integrated that going with after-market pickups totally impractical?'

Yeah, check out this topic to see what I went through in order to do so

http://line6.com/sup...ps-wire-colors/

#16 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:03 AM

Wondering if anyone has put EMG HZ (model H4) passive pickups in a JTV59. I tried a pair of Seymour Duncan's and am not happy with the results.  I had a Pensa Suhr with active EMGs and their sound has always been my favorite.  Don't know if it's possible to put active pickups in a JTV59.

JTV59 cherry sunburst with EMG H4 pickups / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#17 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Actives may be a bit tricky.  They should work but turning them on could be a problem. (and you need a 9V battery someplace)  Normally, you use a switch on the 1/4 inch jack to turn the power on.  You might be able to run them on the JTV's power.  It's not quite 9V but it might work.  That would require some careful  mods to connect switched power for the pickups. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickups

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users