Photo

Battle Of The Quacks

Best Answer phil_m , 01 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well, it's been over 24 hours now, so I guess I'll reveal what's what.

Quack1 is the Variax, and Quack2 is the American Standard Strat. More people ended being wrong than right in the poll, so I guess kudos to Line 6 here.

There is actually a giveaway in the tracks if you listen close enough. On the real Strat track you can hear the hum from the middle pickup kick in when I slide the 5-way switch past it. In the Variax track it's quiet through the change.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is real Strat? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Of the following samples, which one is the real Strat?

1. Quack1 (14 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

2. Quack2 (15 votes [51.72%])

Percentage of vote: 51.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

I took some time today to record a few samples of the infamous 2 & 4 posiitons from the Variax and compared them to the real thing. The real thing in this case is a 2012 American Standard Strat with Fat 50s pickups.

I recorded these going through my pedalboard into my Deluxe Reverb Reissue (using a Cannabis Rex speaker in case anyone cares). I used a Sennheiser E609 along with an MXL ribbon mic. Those are going into my UX2, and I'm using the Modern preamp on both mics with the compressor in the chain just to prevent clipping. The only effect I have on in my pedalboard is a clean boost going into the amp. The reverb is from the amp.

I'm not going to say which is which at this point. On each clip I start in position 4 (neck and middle) and then go to position 2 (middle and bridge). I tried to play pretty the same thing in both clips, but they are a little different.

Attached Files

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#2 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

...I'm not going to say which is which at this point. On each clip I start in position 4 (neck and middle) and then go to position 2 (middle and bridge). I tried to play pretty the same thing in both clips, but they are a little different.

Thanks for posting your clips :)

I try to guess!

I like more the Quack1 and I imagine that's the real strat

however they seem very similar to each other

#3 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for posting the clips.

I too will have a guess. I find Quack1 a bit smoother and I imagine that's the real strat too. The second sounds a little digital to my ears. That being said, I really hope I'm wrong as that would mean I have Quack1 at my fingertips :)

Perhaps you could add a poll here to see who thinks which is which before you do your reveal.

#4 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Good call on the poll... I've added one.

Time is a train

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good call on the poll... I've added one.

seeing your enthusiasm for the guessing game, I bet that in the end you'll reveal that Quack2 is the real strat ;)

#6 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

phill , the quack of jtv has workround right ?

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#7 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

It only needs the work around if you have used Workbench.  It's fine after the download only.

#8 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Nothing has been altered in Workbench in the model recorded here. It's just the stock HD Spank model.

Time is a train

#9 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

strange because the original 2.0 I can not this quack at all , only when I got the workround

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#10 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

1 is the real thing

#11 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

Not that I'm asking you to do any more work Phil, but it would have been interesting to have v1.9 (or Variax 700) version in the mix as well.

#12 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

My understanding of the workaround, is that its only required if you plug the guitar into workbench HD, it's workbench HD that causes the need for the workaround.

some have said that was not the case for them... but that's what i was told from L6

#13 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

That is my understanding too.  My strat sounds in 2 and 4 have both pickups on.  I have not connected to WB and I don't plan to for the near future.  (Until it's fixed)

#14 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

but in my case , as soon as I did the update I already noticed that there was no quack , the 2 and 4 positions were sounding strange even before connecting to the workbench

#15 guitar4u

guitar4u

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Interesting to see so many votes for #1. I picked #2 ("Quack2") as the real one within the first few seconds, without even hearing the other one. That's because #2 has a low-end that I've never heard the Variax replicate; furthermore, #1 ("Quack1") has that hi-fi sound that is almost too clean (i.e. digital) to be real. As sure as I am about these picks, it wouldn't surprise me at all to be wrong! These blind listening tests always put things in perspective ;)

#16 Abraxas1975

Abraxas1975

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hi all,

I haven't read it through, but heard the clips and I can hear some of the sparkle of the piezo pickup in the Quack 1 sound.
I would say that the real thing is quack 2.
To my personal tastes, anyway, I prefer the quack1 sound...

Just my 2 cents from Italy.

#17 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:23 AM   Best Answer

Quack1 is the Variax, and Quack2 is the American Standard Strat. More people ended being wrong than right in the poll, so I guess kudos to Line 6 here.

There is actually a giveaway in the tracks if you listen close enough. On the real Strat track you can hear the hum from the middle pickup kick in when I slide the 5-way switch past it. In the Variax track it's quiet through the change.

Time is a train

#18 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Nice job Phil.

#19 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

seeing your enthusiasm for the guessing game, I bet that in the end you'll reveal that Quack2 is the real strat ;)

I was expecting this your revelation :rolleyes:
in any case IMHO the 1.9 Strat is better than both Quack1 and your real Quack2

so from me more kudos to the past 1.9 Line6 work, and not only for the Quacks

#20 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I guess the HD modeling is pretty convincing if we can't tell the real strat from the electronic copy!  I thought both sounded good though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users