Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X into Transistor Head

cavalodeoutubro

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me with the best configuration of connections for my specific case.
I'm keen on buying the POD HD500X and I  have an ORANGE CR120h (transistor head with fx loop) connected to a 2x12 Harley Benton Cabinet. I was hoping to use only the POD HD500x with minimal contribuition to the tone from the amp, as close as a it gets comparing with the sound I get when connecting the POD to a DAW.

What type of connections should I make? Connect it on the amp's front? Use FX Loop?

Thanks in advance

I was hoping to use only the POD HD500x with minimal contribuition to the tone from the amp, as close as a it gets comparing with the sound I get when connecting the POD to a DAW.

I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but it won't be simple either. Monitoring through a DAW with headphones or studio monitors is VERY diffrent than running into an actual guitar amp. The frequency responses are worlds apart, and you can expect to do a great deal of editing of any and all patches that you've been using to record direct.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't get good tones with this kind of set-up...plenty of guys do exactly that. Just know what you're getting into ahead of time.

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot all of you! 
Wonderful community here.
That said, and just to clarifiy:

Guitar to POD -> POD's FX Send to Amp FX Return and Amp FX Send to POD's FX Return?

Is this the most consensual answer?
Any typical guitar to amp jack will do for the FX's connections?

Also,

I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but it won't be simple either. Monitoring through a DAW with headphones or studio monitors is VERY diffrent than running into an actual guitar amp. The frequency responses are worlds apart, and you can expect to do a great deal of editing of any and all patches that you've been using to record direct.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't get good tones with this kind of set-up...plenty of guys do exactly that. Just know what you're getting into ahead of time.

I'll be aware of that and explore many combinations! 

Thanks once again, this community and answers alone makes me want to buy the POD asap.

You know though, I like the full-amp models through a power amp/cab. So at least give them a shot.

That Orange head is pretty sweet too btw.

I second this....

I tried the pre-amp only route with a tube power amp and cabinet. It was awful...screech owl having a panic attack awful. No matter what amp model I tried. Full models, studio/direct, and all was right with the world.