Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix in amplifier's effects loop

grundyhome

I have a Helix rack unit. I was hoping I could connect the device in to the effects loop of my amplifier. I'm currently trying this with a Peavey 6505MH and I've tried it with a Line6 DT-25 head as well. When I plug it in and setup the effects loop in the chain, I don't hear anything. Both amps didn't put out any sound. It's standard SEND --> RETURN and RETURN --> to SEND loop.

I have the Helilx ports set at instrument and I'm using FX loop setting (I also tried the send/return setting as well).

Has anyone else had any luck setting this up? I don't want to go through the front input as I don't like the sound I get. I know I could plug the L6 cable in to the DT-25 and that works, but I tried the effects loop just to check if the Peavey 6505MH might be bad. I was able to plug a stomp pedal in to the Peavey FX loop and it worked fine. I'm thinking the Helix signal just isn't compatible with the FX loop of the amp, but I'm not sure.  

Thanks in advance,

SG

Guitar->Helix Guitar Input

Helix FX Loop (1,2,3 or 4) Send->Amp Input (where you normally plug your guitar)

Amp FX Loop Send->Helix FX Loop Return (1,2,3 or 4)

Helix 1/4" Mono Out->Amp FX Loop Return

Put the Helix FX Loop Block (1,2,3 or 4) between the FX you want BEFORE the amp (like distortions) and the FX you want between the amp's preamp and power amp (like delays).