File this under:
"I should have noticed that..."
The biggest problem with the 2.0 models, for me, was the low output of the Spank models. So I tried boosting the pickups in all Spank models to the max 6db. It sounded better, but still not as loud as my American Strat.
Then I noticed the "Preset Volume" on the bottom left of the Workbench HD interface. Genius! I raised the preset volume of all Spank models 4db and set the pickup outputs to +4.5 db. Perfect.
The "preset volume" resolves the other thing that bothered about the Variax. The volume of the models is designed to match the guitars that Line 6 modeled.
So the Lester is naturally loudest. But I want all my models to play with the same output, so switching models in in mid-set (or mid song) doesn't require changing pedal or amp settings.
So I went through all the models and matched their volume to the Lester model.
Then, I adjusted the height of the actual pickups in the guitar so the their output matched the output of the Lester model.
Then, I connected the Variax through Workbench and played each model vs. the Lester model. It takes some time, but I raised each model to match the output of Lester. I did this because the output of Lester is actually really close to my actual Les Paul. Most of the models needed a little extra output. One of the acoustics needed a db reduction, so I typed in -1.
I'm sure many veterans of Workbench knew about the Preset Volume. But it sure was a perfect fix for the minor gripes I had with he Variax. I don't usually like to tinker with stuff this much, but it was well worth it!
Spank sounds damn good now!