Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Pod as a solution for bass rig

hag01

One of the reasons I bought the Pod is because I wanted something that will be good both for guitar and bass guitar.

About the bass usage I have two questions:

1. Do the common monitors\speakers in the common rehearsal room\Neighborhood pub should take a bass guitar connected to it through the Pod?

2. There are places where you don't have any amplification, I need a recomendation on speaker that would work good with a bass guitar connected to it though the Pod; I need something only for small places but strong enough to play with a full band(including drummer).

One of the reasons I bought the Pod is because I wanted something that will be good both for guitar and bass guitar.

About the bass usage I have two questions:
1. Do the common monitors\speakers in the common rehearsal room\Neighborhood pub should take a bass guitar connected to it through the Pod?
2. There are places where you don't have any amplification, I need a recomendation on speaker that would work good with a bass guitar connected to it though the Pod; I need something only for small places but strong enough to play with a full band(including drummer).

I'm not a bass player per say but I do play a bass a bit when needed. So I'm not expert in this area but maybe my thoughts here can help.

1. Will it make noise? Yep. Plug a bass guitar in a guitar amp and it will make noise. Maybe even usable if nothing else is available but will often not be voiced correctly. A bass guitar roll often is to fill in the bottom end so that typically calls for larger speaker or at least one voiced lower depending on how you like your bass to sound. So hook a POD to a 4x10 cab with a good high output power amp and yes it will work. Likely to find one in "typical" setup? Not unless there is already a bass rig there. Most Bass players want high wattage amps for clean overhead and for strong signal. Not sure you will get that with what is "typical" but I can say most open mic etc... where backline is provided typcially do have a basic bass rig provided. So you could could run into that.

2. For something for your self, If looking for something personally. I would look a good PA power amp and Bass cabinet. I know a local Bass player that great and sound great. He takes a pre-amp (forget the model but not a POD and lower just rack pre-amp) into a Carvin power amp to a 2x10 or 1x15 (seen him use either) and it sounds great. I would image the POD would do okay in that as well. PA power amps are typcially designed to be high output and clean so they won't color the sound much. The cabinets will, but all of us face that same scenerio, speakers always color the sound some. You could look at PA cabs and sub cabs for more flat "true" FRFR sound for the rig but personally I think I would go with just really good bass cab and work with it to taylor my sound if it was me.

I tried my Yamaha DBR12 several times with a bass and the HD bass-pack.

Worked great and fought well against a loud metal-drummer.

But I would not bet my life that there will not be any damage caused to the monitor-cab.

Nor would I do for a cheap or weak PA amplifier or the FOH speaker in a longer term.

Bass takes power.  Typically 2 to 3 times more than what the guitar needs - just to keep up.  If the FOH speakers are receiving at least 500 watts minimum and have at least a 12 inch speaker or larger, you should be in good shape.  1000 watts and up and you should be fine for medium to large venues.  Most decent FOH systems will be fine.

A tip if they don't  handle it is roll off your very low frequencies like 60hz or even 80hz if the speakers are struggling.  You may lose some tone but it'll help reduce breakup and damage.  It's better to thin the sound a little than listen to a speaker farting all night - if it lasts that long.  Subwoofers only produce 80hz and below and usually have 2 to 4 times more power than mids.  That's how much power it takes for very low frequencies.

In the end - it's better to play at a lower volume with good sound than loud, muddy, and distorted. 

Screw the amps. Go direct. If the sound guy doesn't know how to do it, he shouldn't be a sound guy. If the sound system can't handle it, don't use that sound system. 

And if you need some sort of amp to monitor your sound on stage, then you can use an amp to monitor the sound without it affecting house sound.

But to answer the questions - 

1. I think some people are misunderstanding the question because English isn't your first language. So, allow me to answer a different possibility --- 

Yes, you can plug your Pod into amps. The same as you would any other "pedal". 

2. Again, go direct. No need to worry about amps. BUT, should you insist on using one, the same FRFR units that we recommend for guitarists can be used for bassists. One amp, one pod, all instruments in all ranges including vocals.

Screw the amps. Go direct. If the sound guy doesn't know how to do it, he shouldn't be a sound guy. If the sound system can't handle it, don't use that sound system. 

And if you need some sort of amp to monitor your sound on stage, then you can use an amp to monitor the sound without it affecting house sound.

But to answer the questions - 

1. I think some people are misunderstanding the question because English isn't your first language. So, allow me to answer a different possibility --- 

Yes, you can plug your Pod into amps. The same as you would any other "pedal". 

2. Again, go direct. No need to worry about amps. BUT, should you insist on using one, the same FRFR units that we recommend for guitarists can be used for bassists. One amp, one pod, all instruments in all ranges including vocals.

So:
1. You saying I can plug the Pod into a standard FRFR amp when a bass guitar connected to the Pod and it will work fine.
2. I can use the same FRFR amp for bass guitar and for guitar.

If I'm understanding right, those are great news.

• 5 months later...