Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider iv 120 preset knob not working

thekvn

I have a spider iv 120 watt combo. The preset knob has stopped working on me. It worked fine and one day just quit. If i push it in, it works to enter but when i twist it either way, nothing happens. I can still fill the click when i turn it. I don't know if there is anything i can do. I feel that if i take it in, it will cost more to fix than i can just replace the amp. If anyone has experienced this and solved the problem please let me know. I have not tried factory reset. I have so many sounds saved and for different bands, i don't want to try and have it do nothing and then i can't dial in the sounds with the preset knob not working

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with my encoder knob on my Spider V 120 out of the box!  I guess I am taking it back to the dealer today.  Now I'll likely go with a different brand.  My faith in Line 6 has taken a BIG hit. 

From getting an amp with one bad component? These are mass produced products, and there will be failures. There's always a chance that suppliers will send a bad batch of parts or something like that. It's simply not possible to test every single component or even every finished products. That's why manufacturers offer warranties...

I guess all I'm saying is if you like the amp, you should let one bad part turn you off altogether, especially when it would be easy enough to return it and get another one.

From getting an amp with one bad component? These are mass produced products, and there will be failures. There's always a chance that suppliers will send a bad batch of parts or something like that. It's simply not possible to test every single component or even every finished products. That's why manufacturers offer warranties...

I guess all I'm saying is if you like the amp, you should let one bad part turn you off altogether, especially when it would be easy enough to return it and get another one.

I hear you Phil, but receiving a faulty product out of the box says a lot about a company's attention to quality.  If the manufacture is more interested in "mass production" vs. "high quality," their brand should bear the impact ("if the shoe fits...").   Finding Thekvn had a similar problem with an earlier version of the product increased my concern because now I don't know if the same issue will come up after my oh-so-wonderful warrantee runs out!?  ...just sayin'

I hear you Phil, but receiving a faulty product out of the box says a lot about a company's attention to quality.  If the manufacture is more interested in "mass production" vs. "high quality," their brand should bear the impact ("if the shoe fits...").   Finding Thekvn had a similar problem with an earlier version of the product increased my concern because now I don't know if the same issue will come up after my oh-so-wonderful warrantee runs out!?  ...just sayin'

Well companies are interesting in mass production because they have to be... It's the only way they make these sorts of products at volume and at affordable prices. I obviously can't tell you what to do. All I can say is that after working in music retail, I've seen issues arise with virtually every manufacturer we sold. The only thing that matters is how companies deal with them when they arise. Things like a broken knob are actually a pretty minor thing, imo, because that has little do with the overall build quality of the product itself. It usually just means that part has failed, and those things are usually very easy to replace.

Faulty products are delivered by manufacturers all the time.  You'd quickly get yourself in a 'one brand only' hole if you let it bother you.  Most times, the fault is not readily apparent until hours/days/weeks after it's started to be used by the consumer.