Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

tube comp settings for bass?

Onomatopoeia

Hi!

Anyone using the tube comp (or other model) with bass? What settings are you using and where to you place it in the signal?

I´ve been using it for a while as the first block at threshold 42 % and volume at 0 %. At first i thought it sounded really good like this (low volume with headphones) but as I turn the volume up i noticed that it sounds just "wrong" and way to compressed + it is boosting the volume a bit to much. Now I have a hard time getting good settings out of the tube comp, and I think I do need a comp because it´s seems like it´s at least making something better with the tone when turned on. I just want some light compression for my active bass. 

I also just got and Sansamp GT2 pedal (btw awesome for bass!) and although it sounds the best in front of the Pod, I had to put it in the fx loop since it made the pitch glide/whammy useless. I think it´s the tube comp making the GT2 not sounding good by compressing and/or boosting the signal to much before hitting it. Placing the comp after the pitch and fx loop seem to have a bigger (and worse) inpact on the tone compared having it first, although this might also be me setting it "wrong". Any sugestions about how to set it up? 

On a side note, since taking the step from dual amp to single amps, I´ve noticed that the signal is louder when using the tuner compared to the actual patch. Any ideas?

I'm not a bass player, but I know compressors, and they work the same way for any connected instrument..

as so often happens, it is necessary to use different patches depending on the scenario: bedroom/headphones playing, or rehearsal/gig..

as you know, the compressors have their controls, so if at high-volume you find the compression is excessive, simply turn the threshold control to adjust it better..

in regard to the detected difference of volume of the processed signal, moving from a double chain to a single chain compared to the bypassed sound (tuner), it is probably due to the simple fact that 2 amps sound louder than a single one, but however also in this case there is the the amp volume control to compensate

Thank you got it! And is it just me or does the compressor  "compress more" when placed after some fx blocks compared to being the first one?

when the compressor is first in the chain basically compresses the instrument signal before going into the other FXs in the chain, thus affecting the pure (still not processed) instrument signal and in particular tends to affect much more the attack of the notes in this position.. and it can help also to prevent in part some fizzy spikes of the amp model since it squeezes to a certain degree the touch/volume dynamics..

if instead the compressor is placed after the amp model, thus affecting the alredy processed sound (with its natural attack), it tends to work likewise more as what you would do in mastering recording techniques to make the recorded tracks sound fuller through any playback stereo system, in this case is better to use the most transparent compressors like the tube comp or the vetta comp..

it's normal to get different final volume levels depending on where you put the compressor in the chain, however you have the controls to compensate for everything

Thank you, I never thought of it that way. It makes sense. But wouldn´t that mean that I should get the same results when placing the tube comp as the first block, in relation to after a few blocks that are turned off (still in front of amp model)? I find that this is not the case. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Tube Comp on all my bass patches, I find it "bolsters" the sound quite nicely, but you do have to play about with it. Can't remember my settings from memory however.

Rather than taking a patch that someone else has created, IMO, you need to approach the HD as you would a new amp, and dial it in to what sounds good to you, and then work from there.

I use the Tube Comp on all my bass patches, I find it "bolsters" the sound quite nicely, but you do have to play about with it. Can't remember my settings from memory however.

Rather than taking a patch that someone else has created, IMO, you need to approach the HD as you would a new amp, and dial it in to what sounds good to you, and then work from there.

Thanks. I now that it all depends on the bass, strings, player, etc. I´m more looking for general guidelines since the Pod HD clearly has more info about how to set it up with guitar than bass. I tend to get option paralysis with all the parameters... :)

Apologies, but I haven't had my HD plugged in to the PC for a while.

Main setting:

Thresh: 50%

Level: 30%

FX Type: Dyn

or

Thresh: 50%

Level: 25%

FX Type: Dyn

They work for me anyway.

Thank you, but WOW... You don´t push the amp block sim like grazy with the level up to 30? :O I also have the tube comp set at thresh: 50% but the volume al the way down to 0%. 

I think the channel volume on the Amp is something like 50-55%. When I dig in, it starts to sound growly, cleans up a bit when I ease back, both through an amp and through headphones for home practicing & recording. I plug the HD into the Power Amp input, bypassing the amp's front end preamp.

IIRC, the level's were set there because it cut down on background noise a bit. I'm using both pickups on a twin pickup bass wired without RWRP (hum-bucking).

I think the channel volume on the Amp is something like 50-55%. When I dig in, it starts to sound growly, cleans up a bit when I ease back, both through an amp and through headphones for home practicing & recording. I plug the HD into the Power Amp input, bypassing the amp's front end preamp.

IIRC, the level's were set there because it cut down on background noise a bit. I'm using both pickups on a twin pickup bass wired without RWRP (hum-bucking).

That sounds like just the thing I´m after! What amp model are you using to get that? Where du you put the tube comp in the signal? You don´t get problem with overdriving fx placed after the comp with that level? 

I'm using the "SVT Normal", with the Tube Comp first in the chain (FS1). After that goes drive/dirt, then a phaser or flanger, then an analogue chorus. TBH, I don't really "need" the dirt or the phaser/flanger, so I am starting to reconsider their usefulness in the setup, but I've started using the chorus a bit more, and to my ears, it sounds nice. I don't think it sounds like I'm driving the FX too hard, but there again, the overall sound does have a "bit of bite" to it. Very much in the "Rock Bass" category.

I'm using a 4 string passive bass as well, played with fingers (not a pick). Not sure what sort of output the pickups have, but I also use the "Pad" switch on the front panel, because I can be a bit heavy handed at times.

I'm using the "SVT Normal", with the Tube Comp first in the chain (FS1). After that goes drive/dirt, then a phaser or flanger, then an analogue chorus. TBH, I don't really "need" the dirt or the phaser/flanger, so I am starting to reconsider their usefulness in the setup, but I've started using the chorus a bit more, and to my ears, it sounds nice. I don't think it sounds like I'm driving the FX too hard, but there again, the overall sound does have a "bit of bite" to it. Very much in the "Rock Bass" category.

I'm using a 4 string passive bass as well, played with fingers (not a pick). Not sure what sort of output the pickups have, but I also use the "Pad" switch on the front panel, because I can be a bit heavy handed at times.

Gonna try that when I get my bass back from the chop. It´s a 4 string with 2 active/passive humbuckers. I`ve been using the Pad aswell. but don´t know if I like what it´s doing to the tone.

I´m using the "Cougar 800" with tube comp, pich glide, dist (in fx loop), chorus, flanger before amp. Then delay and mid focus after mixer. The mid focus is set up like a hi/low pass filter, but I´m probably overdriving it so thinking about removing it and using the cab DEP instead. 

I find it hard to get a good gritt in the tone without overdriving the "amp" in a bad way!

Maybe try stripping everything back to amp/cab sim, getting a good sound from them and then adding effects, experimenting with their placement in the signal chain as well as different settings.

Although the HD is relatively easy to setup and get a good sound out of, it still takes some experimentation to get a really good sound from it.

TBH, I find the Cougar 800 to be a bit difficult to set up and I've not been happy with the results I've achieved with it. The SVT just nails the sound I want.

If your bass is in passive mode, try turning the pad off, active mode turn it on. The clip indicator kept coming on when the pad was off, so I switched it on. No more clip indicator. I can't tell any difference in the overall sound.

Keep the gain at a low-ish level, and raise the channel volume, you should be able to get something decent like that.

Maybe try stripping everything back to amp/cab sim, getting a good sound from them and then adding effects, experimenting with their placement in the signal chain as well as different settings.

Although the HD is relatively easy to setup and get a good sound out of, it still takes some experimentation to get a really good sound from it.

TBH, I find the Cougar 800 to be a bit difficult to set up and I've not been happy with the results I've achieved with it. The SVT just nails the sound I want.

If your bass is in passive mode, try turning the pad off, active mode turn it on. The clip indicator kept coming on when the pad was off, so I switched it on. No more clip indicator. I can't tell any difference in the overall sound.

Keep the gain at a low-ish level, and raise the channel volume, you should be able to get something decent like that.

Good tips! Though, I have tried most of them except the SVT model. Will try that one when I get the time. What type of music are you playing?

The clip indicator? You mean in your DAW right?

Also, mind charing what cab you´re using and how you set the low cut? :)

No, when it says "clip" on the HD screen. If it clips in a DAW, you just turn the input gain down.

I'm using the SVT "fridge" cab (Ampeg 8x10), and IIRC just a 57 mic. IR is set low. How do you mean "low cut"? I've only played with the amp sim EQ settings, nothing else.

Playing sort of "classic rock", but have used the same settings for more heavier outings (punk/metal/etc).

No, when it says "clip" on the HD screen. If it clips in a DAW, you just turn the input gain down.

I'm using the SVT "fridge" cab (Ampeg 8x10), and IIRC just a 57 mic. IR is set low. How do you mean "low cut"? I've only played with the amp sim EQ settings, nothing else.

Playing sort of "classic rock", but have used the same settings for more heavier outings (punk/metal/etc).

Does the POD HD have a function where it tells you if you´re clippng??? I´ve never sen that with my HD 500X.... :O

I´m using the same cab with the 12-someting mic. ER set to 2%. In the cab DEP´s there is a control for "low cut" where you can cut the sub freq!

TBH, I can't remember, I know I did it for a reason! :lol: I assumed that "Clip" appeared in the top right of the screen on the HD (like it does on the XT), IIRC, I tried a few different things to stop the "clip" indicator, and flicking the "Pad" switch seemed to work the best.

IIRC, I have the ER set a bit higher than 2%, but not too much higher. I haven't played with the cab, as it sounded good to me after I played with the "amp" EQ etc. At the end of the day, you have to be happy with your "core" sound before you start playing with any "sub-variables".