10 replies to this topic

#1 borut704

borut704

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I bought StageScape mixer 6 months ago, and I noticed that when I turn it on, the screen sometimes freezes. In order for it to work, I have to reboot it. I also updated it to the latest software, did a complete reset and setup, but the screen-freezing error is still occuring. Is there an error in the configuration, or should I send it in for service?

#2 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Sounds like a service. I have not had that issue at all. But I heard of it from someone else on the forum I believe.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'd just offer a few things you might consider before "condemning" your precious M20d, forcing its "surrender" for servicing, borut704.

Although you...

...updated it to the latest software, did a complete reset and setup...

...It's worth also

1. Remembering that anything you "saved" before you potentially cleared corruption via that total "reset" (be that a "scene" and/or an SD card file and/or a USB peripheral "file") may actually contain that "screen freeze maker" stored within its data, just "lurking" there, "waiting" to be faithfully re-activated whenever that corrupt data is subsequently recalled and
  2. Considering the possibility that ANY single peripheral device that performs a digital "handshake" with this system also has the potential to "upset" it, exactly like any "strangers" that we may encounter...  :blink:    

Diagnosis will first require yet another reinstallation of "clean" v1.1 firmware, followed by "as though fresh out of the box" basic operation without recourse to any of your "old" set-ups, scenes or files, whereby you will then need to

1. Run your M20d "on the bench" in isolation to see whether the "freeze" recurs, (in which case servicing will indeed be required) but if it doesn't ...then...
  2. Only re-activate each of your "peripherals" one at a time to determine and subsequently discard or service whichever of them may be the "offender" ...and finally, if none prove to be at fault...
  3. Slowly, methodically and singly re-activate individual stored files to locate and immediately delete the offender/s.   

You'll appreciate that the second and third of above procedures will have caused a reactivation of your "lurking freeze maker", so "normal service" can then only resume after you have once again "cleared the decks" via another (this time, hopefully, long term) total reload and reset.

#4 borut704

borut704

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I will try all sugested procedures and will contact you again.

Regards

Borut

#5 emmebbi

emmebbi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hi, I have the freezing screen problem when powering on. I need to try five to ten times before the mixer load its OS.
I never had this problem with previous 1.10 firmware. I already tried three times to reinstall the new 1.20 firmware.... and I do not have any old scene or setup or sound....
What can I do now????

#6 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationsouthwest Germany

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Hi, this is my first post here, I haven't even had the time to properly introduce myself, guess that'll have to wait until later. I'll have to chime in here - this past weekend I had my first live gig with the M20d (V1.20 firmware, installed straight after having purchased it). Basically it all went smoothly, but (fortunately!) during a break, when I was showing it off to a pro musician who took an interest, the darn thing froze up on me. As in solid, completely. No go. Since it occurred during the break, rebooting it didn't cause a disruption to the show, and my previously saved setup came back unscathed. So, no real harm done, but my unwavering faith into digital technology isn't unwavering any more...

There were no digital doodads connected to the mixer, just six mics and one bass DI. Analog active speakers, too. And I had stopped SD card recording during the break.

So Ron's somewhat far-fetched theories about digital handshaking gone wrong do not apply here. I think it's just plain old "sh*t happens" that I've been dealing with here. I've had more than 30 years of experience with digital systems under the belt, started out with punched cards and mainframes, so believe me, I've seen 'em come and go, so I'll just file this under "hope this never occurs during a live performance".

That said, I greatly appreciated the ease of setup, and the efficiency of the feedback suppression (I use large diaphragm condensers for the vocals - typical bluegrass setup, a few people grouping around one mic). Also, being able to record individual tracks to SD w/o resorting to external devices is a real treat!

#7 kmachman

kmachman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

I had this issue too...  

I went through everything possible with the customer service (short of sending it in)

I found the problem to be the SD card.

When I leave the SD card popped out i have never had the issue since.  If i pop it in 3 out of 4 times it will freeze when booting.

Now put the SD card in once it has booted and have never had a problem again.

I haven't tried a different card yet. Although i did try reformatting it.  Still same issue.

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

...So Ron's somewhat far-fetched theories about digital handshaking gone wrong do not apply here....

I'm curious, Dieter...

What analogy would you use in an effort to simplify the description of the two-way communication that demonstrably DOES occur between a system's disparate (if commonly bussed) devices ?

And now, ...how about this ?

I had this issue too...

...When I leave the SD card popped out i have never had the issue since.  If i pop it in 3 out of 4 times it will freeze when booting...

Let's just bear in mind that any portable-media-reading (or other) processors, even those that may be "embedded" within a common physical structure, effectively REMAIN "peripheral" devices with respect to the "system" CPU...

...So, does kmachman's post not tend to confirm what I'm suggesting ?

Accordingly, I'm wondering whether you may now feel it's worth revisiting your hasty allegation that this...  

...the possibility that ANY single peripheral device that performs a digital "handshake" with this system also has the potential to "upset" it, exactly like any "strangers" that we may encounter...  :blink:

...is one of my "somewhat far-fetched theories" ?

(I must confess that many of us do indeed have those. It's just that system communication protocols don't yet seem to figure in them.)

:lol:

#9 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Ron,

I didn't mean to dismiss your theories altogether - but in my case they don't seem to be of much practical use, is all I'm saying. My problem was NOT a stuck screen during booting, it happened after the mixer had been up and running (smoothly, I might add) for about two hours.

I can see how a somewhat flawed SD card (possibly containing stuff that looks like a firmware update but isn't - or, as the case appears to be with kmachman here, with a more hardware-related, maybe timing, problem) might throw the system off track during booting, but that can't possibly be the cause of my freeze-up.

And as far as your peripheral devices / bus / CPU explanation is concerned, yes of course, no arguing about that, but this is not HAL-9000 where we are at liberty to disengange one module after the other :) so I don't quite see the practical implication here other than admitting that it's a complex system that can, and will, have hiccups, and keeping one's fingers not just crossed but corkscrewed hoping that it's not going to happen during a live performance.

Anyway, no hard feelings please!

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

Even in the unlikely event of me actually being offended, Dieter...

...I can't ever be bothered holding grudges or expending effort on anything like "hard feelings" !

Sadly, one limitation of written communication is the invisibility of the smile I was wearing as I wrote my previous response.

It's my sincere hope that you will also be wearing one on reading this...

...as you continue with the serious business of opening those pod bay doors. 

"I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that."  :) 

#11 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

Glad to see that spirits are up down under, and equally glad to meet a fellow connoisseur of what I still consider a trailblazing movie ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users