Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Software update bricked Toneport UX2

danbind

I record with a UX2 plugged into an older Macbook (2010-sh, 10.6.), and it has been working fine.  This morning, I had the great idea of checking for software updates.  I was running Monkey 1.67 or something, and updated to the latest & greatest, and then tried to update the drivers.

BIG MISTAKE(S).

UX2 now does not light up, and is not detected.  

When I try to "update drivers", it says I have not registered the device.  I go to my account, and it is shown in the list (I bought this in 2010).  

Second great idea:  I removed it from the list if registered devices, and tried to re-register.  It says it doesn't recognize the ESN, and to verify the USN.  I think it is trying to read the serial number electronically through the USB connection, but it can't see it so it throws an error message.

I rolled the Monkey version back to 1.67, and no change.

Any ideas on how I can get my system back up and running?  My newer computer is a PC, and I have a ton of stuff in Garageband, which is what I use.  I really want to keep this Macbook as my music workstation.

Note:  if I plug the UX2 into a newer computer, I get blinking clip lights.

Update:  I started a support ticket on this, and Line6 got back to me very quickly, getting my UX2 re-registration in place, and making some suggestions.  Unfortunately, their suggestions have not fixed the problem.  Here are a couple of very specific questions:

1.)  Line 6 Monkey says my drivers are not installed, even after I run the installer at it seems to work.  Is this normal?

Monkey is up to v1.72 now.

Log a ticket with Customer Support.

Thanks for your input.  Yes, Line6 support did confirm that the latest version should work with OSX Snow Leopard, although so far no luck.  It doesn't seem to acknowledge the driver install, and while it seems to think there is a UX2 attached, it can't read the ESN.

I did the full SW install on my new Windows 10 laptop, and it comes up fine.  Guitar inputs work, recording to REAPER.  I haven't gotten the mic inputs up yet, but I think I can safely say that the UX2 hardware is not broken.

Any ideas on why the driver installation is not recognized on the Mac?

No.

GX, UX1 and UX2,... I have several for my set-ups and I leave a set with my music partner, 

we're running desktop Mac's with OS 10.4, I haven't tried it with my OS 10.6 Mac laptop yet.

Laptops and desktops get treated differently with the same OS. They're subtle, sometimes

I notice it.

Update:  got everything working with Windows 10.  I had a user error issue with selecting the source in Pod Farm 2--now I have good microphone input, and have done some recording using REAPER.

My Line6 report ticket says that I don't need drivers for OSX.  If that is the case, then why do they have drivers to install from the Monkey, and a Driver Uninstaller app? 

Line6 Support suggests I try a different cable.  In other words, "I dunno".

• Downvote 1

A final post for this thread:

1.)  UX2 works fine with my HP Spectre x360 running Windows 10.

2.)  Unfortunately, it does not respond to the Macbook--one wiggle of the needles when plugged in, and no lights.  Support doesn't have any further advice, so I guess I can't use this with Garageband any longer.

LESSON:  if your setup is working with an older Mac, DON'T UPGRADE YOUR SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE!  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would guess, though, that had I not updated the SW/FW, it wouldn't work with Windows 10.

PS:  thanks to Line6 support for responding to my Support Ticket questions, even if the results were negative.