Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Firehawk FX Feedback

guilleguitar

I have been using the Firehawk FX for about two months now and wanted to share my feedback on it. Overall I am happy with the product, here are the good and the improvement opportunities:

1. The Good:

- Overall good product, work as advertised.

- The phone remote control is very convenient and also faster than direct editing on the pedal controls, even compared with other units (previously had an Pod XT Live).

- I like the sound. Many alternatives with good quality, not in par with the top of modelling (Bias FX, etc.), but good anyway.

- The build quality seems very good, as always on Line 6 products.

2. The Improvement Opportunities:

- Modelling limitations. I read the firehawk has the same DSP than the HD 500X, so I can not understand the why of the limitations. Only three blocks for effects. The fixed compressor and EQ blocks seem like a waste when I am not using them. Why not include the fixed compressor, EQ and reverb as effects and then we would have six effects blocks available. Just for the sake of versatility. Also there is no dual amps and paths. I know the hardware is capable.

- PC control app. I know the usual responses in this forum like "but doesn't it work as advertised?" or "there are those who see the glass half empty...", but really, POD has it, HELIX has ti, so it is what we expect from Line 6 (besides the big label in the box that states MAC and PC besides IOS and ANDROID).

In conclusion, very good product, as always from Line 6, with aspects to improve (which I know most probably won't be done).

P.D.: About the not-so-good aspects, I know they have been already stated elsewhere, just wanted to add that it all looks more like marketing decisions aimed to create product stratification, than say actual technical limitations. This is not bad per se, but I think it undermines the company image, specially for the loyal user base out there, who have got a different picture. Maybe next time they will prefer a product designed by engineers and musicians and not by salesman.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the review, I've really been thinking of buying one to marry up my Variax JTV69S to it, I already own the Amplifi which I'm quite happy with atm.

But keep getting a niggling in my head that I'd be best to put the money towards a Helix.

But then I get put off with the Helix costing 4 times as much.

So, last night I'm playing to a sold-out 2500 seat theater.  I'm the lead in The Who's rock opera, "Tommy."  It's the encore and the audience is all on their feet and cheering.  I begin Pinball Wizard and...  CRASH.

I'm sending this back once the show is over.  The Firehawk FX is not ready for primetime.

Tom

post-83355-0-26453600-1478899681_thumb.jpg

• Downvote 1

@Gkf9

Glad it was helpful. If I had enough money to buy the Helix I definitively would, mainly because it is now the most beloved child and will get tons of improvements in the future.

@tomwa

Man, that's creepy. Hope it doesn't happen to me. I read somewhere that the crash issue has something to do with patches created with the old firmware version. I updated on day one, so expecting not to find the issue. Anyway, returning the unit might sum up to the voices asking for more engineering on this product.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Ive had the pedal for almost a year and have had no issues so far. I'm really happy with the iOS use with the pedal and it was my main push for getting the Firehawk-really happy this the pedal. I agree, if I had the extra money the Helix would be the goal, but this pedal service the purpose for what I need.