Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sending indipendent volume to the front of house

line-6-user

Hi all.

Is there a way to send separate (fixed) independent volume control to the sound engineer for the front of house?

I want to be able to slightly adjust the volume for my on monitoring, using the foot controller, without affecting the FOH.

I have tried to adjust all of the volume levels of the set list but some patches are still too loud when played at gigg levels.

The equipment I use will be a JTV-69, in to the HD500, XLR L and R to the FOH, 1/4" out to one Alto TS-212.

Thanks.

14cr404.jpg

look at the above picture..

the FX LOOP is not affected by the POD Master Volume knob, so you can connect the SEND (jack) output (on the rear panel) to the FOH, and use the standard (jack) output (affected by the Master Volume knob) to your monitor..

PS.

the FXs after the amp model (if any) should be the same on both paths..

oops, I've realized just now that you want to use the volume pedal (not the master volume knob).. ok, put the volume pedal only at the end of the path without FX LOOP..

or without using the FX LOOP block, just take advantage of the stereo separation between the Left and Right channels, however you still need to use 2 paths at some point in the chain, and put the volume pedal only on one of them, before the mixer block

111htu8.jpg

Thanks for your input! Very helpfull.

At the moment I tend to use a controller setting for the amp's volume to be assigned to the controller pedal 2 rather than using a volume fx block.

I will be making a copy of the set and adjust accordingly but I can see the pod running out of memory. Some patches (allot of them ) have no available fx blocks. I have to consider using a different approach... for example, using a higher gain amp to remove an overdrive

This is going to take a loooong time to sort it out.

There are "ways" to do it (one was demonstrated by HR). 

But there is no way to do it. 

If you want to go reprogram all of your patches and waste one or two of your 8 blocks, be my guest. We can help with that. 

But there is no independent volume control (as mentioned by BS). 

The easiest way to do it would be to control the volume on your (physical) amp. 

There are "ways" to do it (one was demonstrated by HR). 

But there is no way to do it. 

If you want to go reprogram all of your patches and waste one or two of your 8 blocks, be my guest. We can help with that. 

But there is no independent volume control (as mentioned by BS). 

The easiest way to do it would be to control the volume on your (physical) amp. 

Yes, controlling the volume of the amp (in this case, the TS-212) would be the simplest method,  my problem is that I can't move easily (back problem).  Maybe a remote feature to adjust the amp/monitor should be considered by the amp manufactures, for this requirement.

A volume pedal expects an audio signal (like an electric guitar) to be passed through it.

An expression pedal does not pass a signal through it.

There are a few pedals that are "combination" Vol & EXP.

I understand.  

I have just been on the phone to a friend of mine and band member, he knows allot about electronics. He is going to have a look on a volume pedal which I did use (a long time ago) with a keyboard.  I know that it is not good for the job as it is now but if it could be converted with a few £, then I could make a good use of it.

Maybe using a couple of audio rated volume potentiometer in it?  I will consider this before spending more money.  I like to save up for an Helix at some point.  :rolleyes:

well, if you are trying to change volume in your amp and not in the pa, then you need to put the vp between the pod and the amp.

That's exactly what I need to do.

Today I found the old Bespeco keyboard volume pedal I used to use. Currently it have one microphone cable (3 wires) coming out from the pedal with a TRS 1/4" male jack at its end.

I will need a couple of 1/4" sockets for it... but I will let my friend have a look at it before I start the mod.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note to say I did managed to convert the old keyboard volume pedal into a stereo and mono guitar volume pedal.

I used 3 mono 1/4" female jacks, 1 stereo 1/4" female jack and 1 mini dual gang potentiometer. Total cost, under £8.

The protect was made easier due to the pedal being made of plastic. It should last for a while... if I treat it gently. ☺

We had it working on our last gig and it performed just fine.

Thank you for your advice.