#1 indextwo

indextwo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

I purchased a new Sonic Port from Amazon yesterday, and started using it straight away with GarageBand on my iPhone 6s (running iOS 10.1.1). No connection issues and everything seemed to work great... but then, when listening back, I noticed that there were random clicks every so often. Initially I thought it might be clipping, but the input volume was pretty low and the waveform was nowhere near clipping levels. This was using a stereo out from my electro-acoustic drum brain.

Then, this morning, I tried recording some bass guitar - totally different set of cables - the only common components were the Sonic Port and my iPhone. I noticed the clicking (which sounds very much like clipping) almost immediately. And most noteworthy of all is that the clicking was happening when there was no sound coming from my instrument - it was just plugged into the preamp, but the pickup volume was all the way down, so it definitely wasn't clipping.

As far as I can see it, there are only two possibilities: it's either the Sonic Port, or it's GarageBand (or, by extension, an issue with iOS 10 and the audio interface with GarageBand).

has anyone else had this issue? Should I return it?

#2 indextwo

indextwo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:51 AM

Okay, having spoken to a very knowledgeable audio engineer friend, my best guess is this:

The Sonic Port outputs at 24bit/48khz, which is the native frequency in the latest iOS models. However, from everything that I've read, it appears that iOS GarageBand's frequency is fixed at 44.1khz, and the 'forced line-up' of the two mismatched frequencies is causing these static pops. It seems to get worse the longer the app is open too (although this might be a coincidence).

It's worth noting that I've found someone else complaining about exactly the same issue (Sonic Port + GarageBand) on an Amazon review: https://www.amazon.c...asin=B00CS4L7DK

#3 francbagna

francbagna

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

hello I too have the same problem with iphone 7've solved somehow?

#4 cnmic

cnmic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

I too am experiencing the same problem through the mobile pod app. Brand new Sonic Port on iPhone 6s output through headphones. Random pops and/or clicks.

#5 firstmiro

firstmiro

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Same problem here after updating to iPhone 7. And it's not Garage Band, as I am not using it. I am using it with... Mobile Pod from Line 6.

Already sold big PODs. Still have two varian guitars, but already rebuilt, so I am almost not using Variax anymore (pity, for time I loved it). Now - I am convinced to go to the nearest store and just buy IK Multimedia iRig HD 2 (have HD, never had any problems, and sounds very nicely with Amplitube).

#6 indextwo

indextwo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

@firstmiro does the iRig HD 2 accept stereo input? That was the big requirement for me, as the Sonic Port has a 1/8" stereo jack in (along with the Lightning out for Core Audio stereo), and it didn't look to me like any of the iRig stuff had the same feature.

As an update to this whole thing: I opened a support ticket with Line 6, who mostly just suggested trying different cables. I tried a LOT of different cables and connections, but nothing solved the issue. HOWEVER, I did try the Sonic Port with an iPad Mini 4 that I have available to me, and I got none of the same issues. Line 6 insist they tested it with the iPhone 6s and got none of the same issues.

My best guess at this point is that it actually may be something to do with the passive power consumption of the Sonic Port. As it happens, my phone is also eligible for a free replacement battery, so I might get that replaced (because it's free) and see if it makes a difference.

#7 cnmic

cnmic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

I tried it on my old iPad 2, interesting, no pops or clicks for me then. Im using Sonic Port and the Mobile Pod app. But Ive tried a variety of guitars, cables, and headphone combos with the Sonic Port on my iPhone 6s and Mobile Pod app, as well as Garage Band and it definitely had some issue going on with random popping sounds.

Too bad but I feel I may return the Sonic Port and try one of the options which plugs into the headphone jack vice the lightning port. I use this mostly for in hotel rooms while on the road for work, dont want to listen to those random pops. Its really a shame because I absolutely fell in love with the variety of tones in the Mobile Pod app.

Hopefully someone has some advice on this.

#8 bether

bether

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

I had the same issue on my iPhone SE but only with headphones with microphone. 
When I use headphones without microphone random clicking gone :-)
The problem not exists on 30 pin connections (iPad2 or iPhone 4s).
This is problem on lightning hardware. 

Edit:
The problem exists on some iPhones.

#9 bodeeni

bodeeni

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Is Line 6 going to chime in on this? It is rendering my Sonicport VX useless for any sort of live IOS use through the lightning cable. I really wanted to use the VX and my Iphone 7 to run Amplitude but these random pops are almost gear damaging loud.

Any comments? 

#10 indextwo

indextwo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

I would suspect not: I had a ticket open with Line6 for a while about this issue, going back and forth about this issue repeatedly. Their response was basically "we can't recreate this, and if we had, we never would have released it. It's a problem with your iOS device."

Now, what's interesting is that:

1) According to Apple, my iPhone 6s is eligible for a battery replacement - there were a batch of iPhones that had 'explodey' batteries. Technically I don't think mine was in that batch, but it is eligible for replacement 'just to be safe';

2) I've also used my SonicPort on an iPad Mini 4. Technically I think it's virtually the same spec (in fact, I suspect the iPad has a lower-rent processor), but I haven't suffered from the popping on the iPad. However, my experience with it has been limited.

This leads me to suspect that it may actually be device-related, but whether that's down to hardware or some software configuration, it's impossible to say from a layman's perspective.

Considering that a number of people have come forward about this exact same issue via a number of different avenues, it seems kinda poor form on Line6's part to not address it, or even acknowledge that it exists.

#11 caloisky

caloisky

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Registered Products:7

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

i have the same problem with sonic port vx and my iPhone7, i get that clipping/popping sound while in garage band. any news if this was solved by line6 already? would really appreciate the help. thanks..

#12 gideonkim

gideonkim

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

I have also same problem with my iPhone 6 and 7 , I get clipping sound while in Garage band ... I hope this bug soon be fixed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sonic-port, ios, iphone