Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any players using a valve power amp with their Helix? If so..

iamgeorge

Hey guys, 

I know I know, lots of players are really digging FRFR/cabs sims etc, but for my purposes, I'm really digging using amp sims IN CONJUNCTION with my VHT 2/50/2 power amp. 

Just curious to know if there's other players out there, as the title suggests, that use their Helix with a valve (or even solid state) power amp, AND IF SO, are you using it in a band?  

Last question, as far as hi-gain tones are concerned, what amp sims do some of you use for this? 

Thanks. 

I'm just using it at home, with either a MosValve MV-982 or a Peavey Classic 50/50.
The Helix sounds great with both poweramps, but they're part of different rigs: one is paired with a Digitech 2120 Artist, and the other with a TriAxis.
Usually, the Helix gets used with two floor wedge monitors, but every now and then I go to that "with poweramp" setlist and program some new patches; nothing serious, so far.
I can't really help you with the hi-gain tones because I'm still exploring. Anyway, for whatever reason, I keep returning to the Mesa models.

It's also brilliant as a controller and/or mothership for those tube rack units I mentioned. I figure I'll integrate them at some point, or at least, Helix + TriAxis

The cab I'm using is the one I have at home, a Marshall stereo 4x12 cab that is currently loaded with just two 8ohm speakers, a G12T-75 and a V30.

So... I think it sounds great, and it can eventually get gigged in that setup, but I guess I'm not that impressed by the results so far, at least not enough to make me park the tube preamps.

(Edit: Actually, there's two Greenbacks on the cab as well, but they're not wired)

• Upvote 1

I use mine with K10s most of the time, but every once in a while I'll plug it into my Marshall 9100 and a pair of V30 loaded Boogie cabs.  Two different flavors of good times.  I quit gigging many years ago, but if I were still doing it today I'd definitely go with the QSCs over the power amp/guitar cabs every time.  The 9100 weighs 65lbs by itself.

I'm using it with a Fryette/VHT 2/90/2 which is nice because I get the option of running it in stereo. I used the Helix and the power amp exclusively on our tour in October. I was using it for bass though. Sounded killer and made it really easy to just have a 6u rack case and cab. Easiest load in/load out I've ever had!

I'm using it with a Fryette/VHT 2/90/2 which is nice because I get the option of running it in stereo. I used the Helix and the power amp exclusively on our tour in October. I was using it for bass though. Sounded killer and made it really easy to just have a 6u rack case and cab. Easiest load in/load out I've ever had!

Hey man, that's pretty much what I'm doing too.  It really is the easiest load in/load out I've ever had, which is super cool.  So you're not using it for guitar I take it?  If by chance you are, what amp sims have you been using, in particular for the hi-gain stuff? 

George

Hey George,

I am using it for guitar as well. But not in live situations yet because all the bands I currently play in, I play bass. I hope to change that soon as I'm working on a lot of solo stuff and getting some mates together.

What do you mean by hi-gain? Metal or just hard rock? Personally I like the sound of a fairly mid gain amp with a couple stacked pedals, for a boost usually I go TEEMAH! or Minotaur with lowish gain 2-5 and high volume 7-9 into a fuzz or distortion(I personally like the valve driver quite a bit but the triangle, KWB and Wringer Fuzz work well too depending on the tone you are going for) with mid-high gain 6-8. You can add EQ/Compressor/Gate to tailor and focus it to your liking then I usually go into a mid gain amp with the gain between 4-8. This Way I get

Cleanish: Amp

Gritty: Amp+Boost

Dirty: Amp+Fuzz

Heavy: Amp+Boost+Fuzz

I just use a really nice pair of headphones while practicing and then make sure to disable the cab/IR on the Helix when plugging into the Fryette and adjust the Depth/Presence to taste.

When I am trying to nail a specific sound from an artist I already listen to I usually find the gear they use and just make a preset of that chain with what I have and just pick out piece by piece what I am liking about their tone/sound.

For a hi-gain metal Tone I am hearing a lot of love for the new model of the PRS Archon with a drive pedal in front of it. If you have clips of what you're wanting, or more specific with what you are looking for I could probably help more though

I am using it for guitar as well. But not in live situations yet because all the bands I currently play in I play bass. I hope to change that soon as I'm working on a lot of solo stuff and getting some mates together.

What do you mean by hi-gain? Metal or just hard rock? Personally I like the sound of a fairly cranked amp with a couple stacked pedals, usually I go TEEMAH! or Minotaur with lowish gain 2-5 and high volume 7-9 into a fuzz or distortion(I personally like the valve driver quite a bit but the triangle, KWB and Wringer Fuzz work well too depending on the tone you are going for) with mid-high gain 6-8. You can add EQ/Compressor/Gate to tailor and focus it to your liking then I usually go into a mid gain amp with the gain between 4-8. This Way I get

Cleanish:

Thanks for that.  Yeah I meant exactly that, hard-rock/hi-gain/metal sorta stuff.  All good, you've answered my question.  Horses for courses really.. 

the 2502 is stereo right? If so, and you might have already done this, but if your set up allows, you could just run stereo and dial in one chain with a low end grind and the other one sizzling lead. When I run stereo I find the two channels usually sound bad solo but compliment each other for a killer sound when ran together

Also if you're using a rack you could get a RJM effects gizmo (used I got one for around 400) and you can add like 12 preamps/pedals you already love and be able to midi-switch everything from the helix