Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eminence kappa 12 vs Celestion Rocket 50 12

hichembell

Hello everybody, i hope that im in the right place of the forum. I want to DIY a 2 x12 guitar cab and was wondering if the Eminence kappa 12 will give good results. I am using HD 500 and Irt studio. notice that I dont have   a lot of choices  here around. Here is the choices offered to me :

1- DIY a 2 x12  loaded with Eminence kappa 12

2- DIY a 1x12 loaded with  Celestion Rocket 50 12 

Note that the Celestion is a 16Ohm while the kappas are 8 ohm 

I am very tented with a 2x12 for the different possibilities to mic with different microphones in the studio and for live performances, or will the Rocket 50 will be enough ?

Note that i prefer open back cabs over closed one and I play variety of   vintage/modern  blues, rock , prog and shred things. thank you  

As with the overwhelming majority of things discussed around here, the answer to this question is entirely subjective. Might as well be asking for advice on broccoli vs. cauliflower with tonight's chicken cutlet. You like what you like, what I like is irrelevant, and neither of us is "right" anyway...

You're never gonna know what either of them will sound like until you plug it in and let her rip...and nobody can tell you ahead of time what will sound good to your ears.

I understand your point and i agree totally with you. What I  need to really know is wether the Eminence kappa speaker can be used as a guitar speaker. I wanna be sure that it is not exclusively used in p.a system. in the description of the product it is said that it is used for P.A but can also function as a guitar speaker. want to know the reliability of this claim. Any one already used one into his cab ??  What would be the difference with a speaker designed exclusively for guitar amp ..thank you

I would say a lot depends on what you're amp or power amp will be. But I would also say, you probably won't get the answers you're looking for on this forum and, unfortunately, as was stated before, the only way to really know is to build it and listen. The specs are OK for a guitar amp. You can use it for that. Just make sure your impedances match.

could you enlighten me and explain me what are the specs that tell you that it is ok for guitar amp please ?? it will not suffer from high notes ? 

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_12A.pdf

Explaining the specs would require a basic electronics knowledge which I don't have the time to give you and if you had that, then you wouldn't need more of an explanation. The main spec would be the power rating. Then the impedance.

The frequency response curve of this speaker has a major dive at 5 kHz. See it in the document I have linked. That would indicate that it won't suffer from high notes as you put it. But again, it ALWAYS takes a listen before you can come to any solid conclusions.