Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need a solution for db increase for lead volume

Pod XT Live users,

I recently incorporated a set up using 2 Blackstar HT20 combo amps in stereo with the Pod XT Live Floor Pedal. I originally set out to just use the amps in clean settings and run tones through the Pod but just fell in love with the tube tones and characteristics of the Blackstars which have 2 channels clean and overdrive and use their foot-switch to control switching for both amps. I basically use the Pod for an effects processor.

I now use a no amp setting and on occasion the tube pre-amp amp model using the amps for tones. Before when I used the Pod tones I could easily set the volumes for each song/patch for standard volumes and copy and add whatever for lead tones and it would punch out quite easily and the tone characteristics would not change with volumes differences.

Now using the no amp setting I cannot get the volume controls to give me lead solo increases that punch out. If I lower the volume too much it kills the tone so I have to keep it around 11-12 o'clock for the normal volume setting. Going to max volume does not do much to the db change. One thing I really loved about the XT was the control over everything. Even with increased gain settings with some Stomp stuff or other ways to get squeeze some Dbs. 

I do not like to depend on sound men to be on top of solos so I prefer doing that myself. We do not have a dedicated sound person and most of the times have to rely on house sound guys. 

I play in a new country rock cover band doing artists like Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, Kenny Chesney etc. 

One thought I had was perhaps to incorporate a volume pedal(Morley with a heel toe setting) but I hate having to do too many things just before a solo. I loved just stepping on one pedal to get the solos out.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas on this and ask away with any questions on my set-up.

Thanks,

Rick

• 2 weeks later...