Photo

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

JTV or Variax 700?

1. Variax 700 (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

2. JTV (49 votes [90.74%])

Percentage of vote: 90.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 BucF16

BucF16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

"Right now my only complaint on the JTV is how incredibly heavy it is."

What great motivation to start lifting weights at the gym   :D

Four day a week crossfitter here.  Maybe because my workouts are so exhaustive, I yearn for something lighter to avoid over-training.

As an aside, I had a chance to play it side by side with a Taylor T5 and a Taylor 600? series acoustic.  I would say that it approximates the T5's tone but was noticeably sterile vs the real acoustic.  Suprised? Not really.

#82 badmelonfarmer

badmelonfarmer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Gotta say, I owned a Variax 700 MIJ and it was really "meh" as a physical instrument... nothing special or anything I felt any connection with... It was a dreadful set up put of the box and the tech at the dealer was the worst butcher I have come across... Even after all the hassle and expense of trying to get it playable it was still "meh".... Did not have a soul or that mojo that meant it wanted to be played. Not experienced that feeling since buying a really cheap guitar in the 80's.

This really put me off the MIK JTV especially the extra £'s on top. Having said that, I waited for a deal and got a JTV-59p at less than I paid for the Variax 700 and despite it being back at line 6 to try and fix an issue with the modelling ... As a physical instrument it is head and shoulders above the Variax 700. I really hope the modelling issue can be fixed otherwise it will have to go... I have decent guitars already that feel great and have the mojo, Fender Custom Shop, fender USA, gibson standard and custom, Martin's etc and despite the claim, the variax does not replace those real physical instruments.... And in all honesty I do not expect it to.... But as a playable workhorse, it is nearly there.

It just need to be taken up a notch in tech and reliability, which we hoped the JTV would be.... It is a step in the right direction... But still needs improvement..... iMHO

#83 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

Matter of fact, now, that I work on workbench the strato pick ups, only the acoustics sound better at my Variax 700, and of course the body is still higher class than the JTV's

#84 BucF16

BucF16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

The more I play my 69 the less I want to go back to the 700.

#85 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

The more I play my 69 the less I want to go back to the 700.

BucF16, by the way, what graphteck nut you order? I like to replace mine too. Also I would like to order some gold sperzel tuner keys, witch one to order?

#86 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

I really don't know why you'd want to use an old gen variax over a JTV. Even if you think it sounds better ,you can just switch to old firmware on the JTV and it'll sound the same.

The hardware is more nice, the trem actually works and stays in tune, and you have an alt tune knob which is insanely helpful. I'd kill for a JTV for the alt tune knob alone.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#87 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I really don't know why you'd want to use an old gen variax over a JTV. Even if you think it sounds better ,you can just switch to old firmware on the JTV and it'll sound the same.

The hardware is more nice, the trem actually works and stays in tune, and you have an alt tune knob which is insanely helpful. I'd kill for a JTV for the alt tune knob alone.

If you are refer to me, honestly, the V700 has the only fretboard that i really like (from all of my guitars), plus the missing pickups give it a very nice look

#88 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Ah. Yeah, my 600 is the best playing guitar I have, even though the b string has level issues near the 12th fret from trying to level out a ding in it, but after messing around it is pretty great, just needs to be shaped a bit better with a crowning file.

I can also agree about the missing pickups, it makes the guitar look mysterious, though I did make decal pickups after some guy did that to his Variax on youtube, I was bored I guess, comes right off fine though.

#89 jegler

jegler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationThe Basement

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

I have a beautiful black 700 that I used/use in the studio ALL the time. I love the look, the feel and the performance. Probably the best feeling instrument I've owned. And the models are all pretty good. The acoustics are definitely better on the JTV. 

My JTV 69s has a great feeling neck and tremolo system, but there's a lot I really Don't like about it.

I can't play with 9 gauge strings anymore (too squirrely) - and even with 10's the high E pops out of the string nut. It also tends to roll off the neck when doing high E bends. 

I don't like the position of the volume knob - I'm always bangin into it.

Hate the headstock look, but whatever. I happened to love the look of no pickups on the 700.

Absolutely hate the fact that if you take all the strings off at once the bridge and tremolo block pops violently off the bridge posts and causes the tremolo block (which has the piezo pcb mounted on it) to smash into the wood of the guitar.  I just got it back from repair for that very reason. While it was out, I just plugged in the 700 and did my live shows without missing the 69 at all. 

Oh and the factory installed jtv flash v2.1 - but I am rolling back to v1.9 - the strat sounded soooo wimpy with no sustain and the volume control is now "tapered" which sucks for volume swells, which is a big part of my trick set. 

www.redlightrecords.com

#90 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have a beautiful black 700 that I used/use in the studio ALL the time. I love the look, the feel and the performance. Probably the best feeling instrument I've owned. And the models are all pretty good. The acoustics are definitely better on the JTV. 

My JTV 69s has a great feeling neck and tremolo system, but there's a lot I really Don't like about it.

I can't play with 9 gauge strings anymore (too squirrely) - and even with 10's the high E pops out of the string nut. It also tends to roll off the neck when doing high E bends. 

I don't like the position of the volume knob - I'm always bangin into it.

Hate the headstock look, but whatever. I happened to love the look of no pickups on the 700.

Absolutely hate the fact that if you take all the strings off at once the bridge and tremolo block pops violently off the bridge posts and causes the tremolo block (which has the piezo pcb mounted on it) to smash into the wood of the guitar.  I just got it back from repair for that very reason. While it was out, I just plugged in the 700 and did my live shows without missing the 69 at all. 

Oh and the factory installed jtv flash v2.1 - but I am rolling back to v1.9 - the strat sounded soooo wimpy with no sustain and the volume control is now "tapered" which sucks for volume swells, which is a big part of my trick set. 

Ouch. I did think the volume knob looked way too close to the strings, I already have some problems hitting my volume on my 600 and lowering the volume on accident.

I totally agree about the headstock.

The high e slippage thing sounds like a pain, and that trem block issue sounds awful.

For a guy who is an acclaimed luthier guitar designer, he sure has a lot of problems with his guitar. Made me want to get a 59 over a 69, I mean I don't have an LP style guitar yet so why not, but I love fender-esque guitars a lot.

I've heard they fixed design issues in later versions but it seems like it still causes problems.

Like I said though, that alt tune knob is a hell of a deal breaker. I need that feature really badly because I don't like wasting banks for duplicates of guitars I already have on the Variax that is just simply a different tuning. I literally have 2 banks filled with Les Pauls tuned to C standard and Drop A# for playing In Flames, and while that is what I put on top priority, I still want more at my disposal.

#91 BucF16

BucF16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

BucF16, by the way, what graphteck nut you order? I like to replace mine too. Also I would like to order some gold sperzel tuner keys, witch one to order?

Wish I could remember.  It was quite a while ago and it was the one my guitar tech thought would be best, so I didn't really question or shop around.  I just wrote him a check and did what he said.

#92 guilhordas

guilhordas

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hi Guys

try telecaster position 1 with masonite plank, very nice

Jtv 69 , pod hd 500, suhr S3,prs custom 22, Gibson SG standard 96, fender plus strat 93

#93 bob1474

bob1474

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

My favorite is the 600. I also have a 500 (least fav body style) a 300, 700 and a couple of 700 acoustics. I play and work on these a lot for people so I tend to keep an "example" of each around. When the JTVs came out of coarse i thought they'd be the cat's meow. Got hold of the 69 and the 89 hard tail. Shortly after let go of both. mostly due to the sounds of the new models but also the "appeal". I know this is all relative to personal taste, but why the pickups if you already have the model ? I guess i just like the simple clean looks of the older models, also to this day gets lots of questions. No problems with any older model staying in tune, make the right adjustments, a little nut sauce on the bridge and locking tuners-whammy to your hearts content. As far as the sound, added graphtech piezos. I was able to do an apple to apple comparison and the graphtecs vastly improved the overall performance on my 600, getting ready to change out the 700 electric a little later. Just my opinion. As far as the JTV series-the street price drop should tell you something.  Not complaining, Line 6 is a great innovator and my go to rigs.

#94 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

My favorite is the 600. I also have a 500 (least fav body style) a 300, 700 and a couple of 700 acoustics. I play and work on these a lot for people so I tend to keep an "example" of each around. When the JTVs came out of coarse i thought they'd be the cat's meow. Got hold of the 69 and the 89 hard tail. Shortly after let go of both. mostly due to the sounds of the new models but also the "appeal". I know this is all relative to personal taste, but why the pickups if you already have the model ? I guess i just like the simple clean looks of the older models, also to this day gets lots of questions. No problems with any older model staying in tune, make the right adjustments, a little nut sauce on the bridge and locking tuners-whammy to your hearts content. As far as the sound, added graphtech piezos. I was able to do an apple to apple comparison and the graphtecs vastly improved the overall performance on my 600, getting ready to change out the 700 electric a little later. Just my opinion. As far as the JTV series-the street price drop should tell you something.  Not complaining, Line 6 is a great innovator and my go to rigs.

I have a 600. I'm having awful tuning problems to the point of not being able to use it at all. Can you do both trem action and string bends and keep in tune? That's the biggest issue I have, the other being that the strings can go flat after using a trem.

I'm considering switching the nut to a graphtech someday later, would that help?

#95 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Locking Tuners and Graphtech nut will improve tuning stability.

#96 bob1474

bob1474

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:43 AM

Clay-man, as Charlie-Watt says If you've done the locking tuners, nut sauce, checked your intonation and sdjusted the springs, you SHOULD not have any problems. I, without exaggerating, can trem down till the strings are pretty loose and still be stable.  You can also look into a Trem-lock system that returns the bridge back to a fixed position-works really well, have used them before, except I am stable enough not to need one.  I have my bridge adjustment set as follows. The 2 bridge height srews are completely down into the body  as far as they will go for stability-even if you have to adjust the neck position with shims to get the right playability on string height) The individual string height adjustments on the bridge are kept as close as possible to the bridge plate (same reason). I adjust the 3 springs tension to keep the bridge plate parrallel to the body. that leaves me with about a half step up and full down trem action. The idea is to keep and physical movement of potentially moving parts to a minimum, especially the string height screws. Should do the trick. Let me know if any of this helps.  Same thing for the 600. Never used a graphtec nut, but have heard good things about them and if they are anything like the piezo's, they should be very nice.  Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users