Photo

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

JTV or Variax 700?

1. Variax 700 (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

2. JTV (43 votes [91.49%])

Percentage of vote: 91.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hell yeah Ed.Same here, 700 IS the most beautifull guitar ever!!

#42 ReverendLove

ReverendLove

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Sorry, arislaf. I gave you a bad reputation point by accident.
Would you please give me one bad too, because I don't know how to fix it and I don't want that the universe implodes? So we keep it in balance.
I usually don't  give bad reputations but for massive aggressive attacking people personally and you definetely didn't do that.

TIA.

#43 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

ReverendLove, I gave u a plus 1 up, you are straight forward guy and I apreciate it! We are ok ;)

#44 Ed_Saxman

Ed_Saxman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

My two beauties, head to head. Time for a threesome?

DSC_0002EDITED_zps64c7a8e5.jpg

Sorry, redhead, but I still love my blonde. I hope you do not get jealous. She is not, at all.

DSC_0010_zps21466ae8.jpg

I like that, girls. keep it up.

DSC_0013_zps27e559b6.jpg

Beautiful necks....

DSC_0017_zpsbdc26233.jpg

Her cleavage is allways motivating.

DSC_0028_zps4db84fc9.jpg

And those pretty shoulders...

DSC_0027_zpsfec23c55.jpg

Perhaps it is better that we all go to bed. No one has to go now. It will be much better if we stick together.

DSC_0029_zps6d041589.jpg

By the way, redhead, have you ever been experienced?

DSC_0021_zps96d44961.jpg

#45 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Oh my...These curves...This body...There are many times I believe the 700 is better than a woman...

#46 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

By the way, the blood red is finally the best color from the JTVs...

#47 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Here: http://ow.ly/i/3Ayj

Original post: http://www.guitarmas...ndpost&p=498326

It´s made by a brazilian luthier.

thanks for the link

he did a good job, nice looking

#48 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

I forgot to state the obvious here:

Another thing the JTV has against the old Variaxes is that the JTV has superior piezo pickups.

We've all seen the "My X string is quiet and noisy" thread multiple times. In fact, I was one of those people, and had to replace my D string piezo, and this is weeks to 1 month after just getting my guitar.

Not only that, but the sound quality of the piezos are higher too. They were high enough for people to notice a difference between old Variaxs and the JTVs even prior to the HD update, and the old JTV firmware had the same modeling as the old Variaxes.

But like I've said, the old Variaxes are still amazing if you don't have a JTV. I still think they hold up in the guitar world, and can still easily fool people as sounding like the real guitars they're modeled after. Just think of it as a nice budget Variax, cause that's what I did.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#49 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

I forgot to state the obvious here:

Another thing the JTV has against the old Variaxes is that the JTV has superior piezo pickups.

you're right, but luckily there are also the Graph Tech Ghost saddles

http://www.graphtech...cing---6-string

you can mount them on a old Variax and they are probably much better than the JTV ones..

taken from their specs:

Ghost pickups contain a custom engineered piezo crystals that is encapsulated in a set of String Saver saddles. The ghost saddle pickups have a natural compression effect so you can play as hard as you want without overloading the input channel or experiencing the dreaded piezo "Quack".

#50 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

you're right, but luckily there are also the Graph Tech Ghost saddles

http://www.graphtech...cing---6-string

you can mount them on a old Variax and they are probably much better than the JTV ones..

taken from their specs:

Ghost pickups contain a custom engineered piezo crystals that is encapsulated in a set of String Saver saddles. The ghost saddle pickups have a natural compression effect so you can play as hard as you want without overloading the input channel or experiencing the dreaded piezo "Quack".

I have 2 Variaxes with GraphTech Ghost bridges and 1 JTV and the GraphTech bridges/saddles are around 9,999,999,999,999 times better than the JTV bridge/saddles IMO.

#51 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

+1 This is the exactly the same situation as mine.
I bought the 89 Blood Red just because of the sweetwater offer. Initially planned to sell my Variax 700 later, but once I saw them both together, I realized that I could not sell the most beautiful guitar I have. The 700 looks more like a Jazz guitar to me (body shape, headstock, neck inlays, etc). I also love some PRS guitars, by the way.

I think I'm going to keep this guitar forever, and even if the electronics fail some day, I'll take it to a luthier to install a good pair of SD pickups.

Something like this:

th_Capturadepantalla2013-09-07alas181431

th_Capturadepantalla2013-09-07alas181442

Wow, that 700 looks pretty nice with pickups... bet L6 would have sold way more if the looked like that from the factory

#52 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

..I have 2 Variaxes with GraphTech Ghost bridges..

have you mounted them by yourself?

#53 LarryWilliams

LarryWilliams

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

I had a 700.  Now a JTV59.   I like everythinga bout the 700 except the back of the neck.   I have never been a fan of the satin feel on the back of the neck.  I guess, as a child of the 60's, I grew up with lacquer on the neck and like it. 

As for the look of the 700, I though it was very pretty in the cherry sunburst.  It would have benefitted greatly from the addition of a maple (flame) top.   I would have still had the 700 if it had: maple top, set neck, finish on back of neck.

#54 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

...I like everythinga bout the 700 except the back of the neck.   I have never been a fan of the satin feel on the back of the neck...

strange, my 700 black with tremolo with all original parts doesn't have the satin finish on the back of the neck..

#55 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, that may be, but the fact is that my 700 hasn't failed and my JTV is starting to.
The piezos on the 3rd and 4th strings are damaged (the strings have carved their way in)

and they're giving me a nasty "quack" sound when I play hard.
What do you, people, recommend to replace them? Should I replace them all for new ones? Same brand? Other?

#56 Crusty_Old_Rocker

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationGold Coast - Australia

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's funny, I like the look of my Cherry Burst 700 over my Lake Placid Blue JTV69.  But across every other dimension, the JTV69 is a much better instrument.

Cheers,

Crusty

#57 dkemusic

dkemusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I definitely like my JTV59 more than my V700 which I haven't touched since I bought the JTV.  The V700 is a nice guitar but for me JTV is better in pretty much every way.

Dan

#58 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

have you mounted them by yourself?

Yes.

#59 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Well, that may be, but the fact is that my 700 hasn't failed and my JTV is starting to.
The piezos on the 3rd and 4th strings are damaged (the strings have carved their way in)

and they're giving me a nasty "quack" sound when I play hard.
What do you, people, recommend to replace them? Should I replace them all for new ones? Same brand? Other?

I don't think the JTV piezos are open to public for purchase, unless you maybe send in your guitar for repair.

I got a new piezo for my 600 directly from LR Baggs because their X-bridge piezos are virtually the same as the Gen1 Variax piezos.

The problem with the Variax is that they have their piezos exposed, which can lead to damaging them from string friction or sweat corrosion over time. The ghost piezos are encased in the saddles so they don't really get corroded. 

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#60 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

The thing I really did not like about the original Variax Piezo's was that they relied on contacting the strings for their grounding.  Every once and a while I would get a bad connection with associated hum.  The Ghost piezo's have a ground wire on each one which I connected to the flex ground in the Variax 500 bridge.  No hum and far more output.  I had to turn the string volumes down to about 50%.

I have not looked at the JTV piezo connections to see if they are grounded individually the way they should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users