Photo

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700? (88 member(s) have cast votes)

JTV or Variax 700?

1. Variax 700 (14 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

2. JTV (74 votes [84.09%])

Percentage of vote: 84.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 cbeattyjr

cbeattyjr

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

I've owned the 300, 500, 700 and JTV-59.

The JTV is better because of the onboard battery, at a minimum.  Also, the JTV is better because of the option to use the magnetic pickups.

#122 dietmd

dietmd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Registered Products:16

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have an Acoustic 700 I love (not sure why they stopped selling them it plays and sounds great!!) A Variax-600 I really haven't touched much since I got my first JTV-69 HSS. I had lots of problems with the JTV-69 HSS factory neck and made multiple attempts at fixing it. The nut was installed in the wrong place from the factory. Despite having a professional work on it and replace the factory nut with a Roller nut but we still could not get the feel Buzzing or intonation right. I ended up replacing the neck with a Mighty Mite Strat neck. I also installed Lace Alumitone Sensor pickups in it and it sounds fine with more of a Humbucker type sound to my ears. I bought a JTV-59 which other than a minor setup was fine right out of the box. Recently I added a Shoreline Gold JTV-69 SSS to the collection wanting a real Strat Sound which it offers along with all the single coil noise!! Not a quiet guitar and I plan on copper shielding the whole damn thing hopefully decreasing the noise.

Overall I obviously like these guitars. They need TLC out of the box to get them right but the JTVs are great at what they are meant to do.

#123 JTSC777

JTSC777

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have a couple of 500s. Fun guitars to play and record with.My JTV however is a live gigging monster with an HD500 in front of or into the effect loop of my DSL401/JCM800 combo or Fender BDRI. Absolutely amazing instrument. And that big fat neck has a lot to do with the sounds it makes.

#124 powderfinger700

powderfinger700

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

I have and love my 700.
Aside from the 12 string sounds I find all of its sounds authentic and responsive. The bodys simplified cosmetics may not conjure up the visual magic of being a rock star, a phat jazz cat or a ten gallon tele twanger, but it gets the job more than just done. In fact, the only people who seem to notice what Im not playing are other guitar players who probably werent gonna like what I was playing anyway. It is my main guitar. Having said that I imagine that the next generation guitars are much better. When I playout I still have to bring out a 12 string electric and a Les Paul as back up but I tend to guit swap anyway. For the dollar difference I choose my 700.