Photo

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

JTV or Variax 700?

1. Variax 700 (13 votes [15.66%])

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

2. JTV (70 votes [84.34%])

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4519 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Lollipop? Now that's a pretty funny correction the software put on me. The original word was a 3 letter word for a small donkey. Vari-Donkey was what I meant to say.

Good thing they're preserving our virgin ears/eyes for us. After all, musicians never use bad words...;)

#122 vodmil

vodmil

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Whaaaaat?

You described exactly what makes the 700 disgusting. That fake PRS look that is worse than those undisputable ugly PRS firewood.
I am always embarassed for people playing this horrible furniture of the 80s and ninetees (PRS) on stage. They're simply awkward.
They do not even look like guitars to me, probably like mutants born from a tête-à-tête between a one legged cello and a bedside lamp.
I never understood this and I never will. If - by any law - I would be forced to play these boards only, I would quit playin.

And JTVs look like guitars. And its better to imitate a strat or a paula than this painfully designed disaster.

BTW: The one, only and ever beauty ist the Gretsch Jupiter Thunderbird. There you see a bold, timeless and cool guitar.

hey i have an idea. why don't you just shut the lollipop up you nazi retard. something tells me you wouldn't even know what to do with a fender telecaster. if one fell out of the sky and caved your skull in it still wouldn't be enough to knock some sense into you. Have fun Goose Stepping with your Grandma. Idiot.

#123 vodmil

vodmil

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

line6 has a bad habit of doing things like using low volt parts in there line volt gear with less then sufficient soldering and grounding. power supplys and switches(or lack of)that start giving you problems in the first week.somehow EVERY Piece of equipment that I've gotten from them has had some kind of design flaw like the wrong kind of parts or their downloads missing a couple of ones and zeros. so that what they suggest as a fix just ends up causing more problems that they won't even admit to until YEARS later.customer service that is certifiably lollipopy(everybody goes to lunch for two hours at the same time and then goes home early, and I'm pretty sure that they don't work on the weekend). I've spent so much time and money on this that sometimes i fantasize about letting my buddys pit bull use their employees for chew toys. Its really too bad because if they delivered what they said they were selling it would be a dream rig.

Its just that they don't. And what they do provide is just so unreliable that its literally made me cry more then once. and that is not easy to do. To buy the gear and then have to pinch pennys to  pay to ship it back to have them work on it only to have them give me a quote that was almost as much as the original price tag because it was a after the warranty period (and not by much)  when i think about it it feels like they have stollen years of my life.  all i can do is hope that some day it works out. until then ill just have to make do.   and remind myself. that Karma is a pit bull. One that i give treats to and loves it when i  scratch her behind the ears.

#124 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15552 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Registered Products:15

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:54 AM

hey i have an idea. why don't you just shut the lollipop up you nazi retard. something tells me you wouldn't even know what to do with a fender telecaster. if one fell out of the sky and caved your skull in it still wouldn't be enough to knock some sense into you. Have fun Goose Stepping with your Grandma. Idiot.

The person you are responding to made his comments more than three years ago. I doubt he's still here to read your vitriol. I suggest you read the terms of use for this forum if you want to stick around. Another post like this and you're liable to be banned.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#125 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4519 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

Lmao...good show in here today. Unearthed "ancient" communications, tension, drama, Nazis. I don't know if they're doing any more Indiana Jones movies, but we got the makings a script right here. Just hafta turn Harrison Ford into a guitar player in some 40's Big Band act...;)

#126 cbeattyjr

cbeattyjr

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

I've owned the 300, 500, 700 and JTV-59.

The JTV is better because of the onboard battery, at a minimum.  Also, the JTV is better because of the option to use the magnetic pickups.

#127 dietmd

dietmd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Registered Products:15

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have an Acoustic 700 I love (not sure why they stopped selling them it plays and sounds great!!) A Variax-600 I really haven't touched much since I got my first JTV-69 HSS. I had lots of problems with the JTV-69 HSS factory neck and made multiple attempts at fixing it. The nut was installed in the wrong place from the factory. Despite having a professional work on it and replace the factory nut with a Roller nut but we still could not get the feel Buzzing or intonation right. I ended up replacing the neck with a Mighty Mite Strat neck. I also installed Lace Alumitone Sensor pickups in it and it sounds fine with more of a Humbucker type sound to my ears. I bought a JTV-59 which other than a minor setup was fine right out of the box. Recently I added a Shoreline Gold JTV-69 SSS to the collection wanting a real Strat Sound which it offers along with all the single coil noise!! Not a quiet guitar and I plan on copper shielding the whole damn thing hopefully decreasing the noise.

Overall I obviously like these guitars. They need TLC out of the box to get them right but the JTVs are great at what they are meant to do.

#128 JTSC777

JTSC777

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have a couple of 500s. Fun guitars to play and record with.My JTV however is a live gigging monster with an HD500 in front of or into the effect loop of my DSL401/JCM800 combo or Fender BDRI. Absolutely amazing instrument. And that big fat neck has a lot to do with the sounds it makes.

#129 powderfinger700

powderfinger700

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 PM

I have and love my 700.
Aside from the 12 string sounds I find all of its sounds authentic and responsive. The bodys simplified cosmetics may not conjure up the visual magic of being a rock star, a phat jazz cat or a ten gallon tele twanger, but it gets the job more than just done. In fact, the only people who seem to notice what Im not playing are other guitar players who probably werent gonna like what I was playing anyway. It is my main guitar. Having said that I imagine that the next generation guitars are much better. When I playout I still have to bring out a 12 string electric and a Les Paul as back up but I tend to guit swap anyway. For the dollar difference I choose my 700.