Photo

What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Better?jtv Or The Old Variax 700? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

JTV or Variax 700?

1. Variax 700 (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

2. JTV (43 votes [91.49%])

Percentage of vote: 91.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 BucF16

BucF16

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

"Right now my only complaint on the JTV is how incredibly heavy it is."

What great motivation to start lifting weights at the gym   :D

Four day a week crossfitter here.  Maybe because my workouts are so exhaustive, I yearn for something lighter to avoid over-training.

As an aside, I had a chance to play it side by side with a Taylor T5 and a Taylor 600? series acoustic.  I would say that it approximates the T5's tone but was noticeably sterile vs the real acoustic.  Suprised? Not really.

#82 badmelonfarmer

badmelonfarmer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Gotta say, I owned a Variax 700 MIJ and it was really "meh" as a physical instrument... nothing special or anything I felt any connection with... It was a dreadful set up put of the box and the tech at the dealer was the worst butcher I have come across... Even after all the hassle and expense of trying to get it playable it was still "meh".... Did not have a soul or that mojo that meant it wanted to be played. Not experienced that feeling since buying a really cheap guitar in the 80's.

This really put me off the MIK JTV especially the extra £'s on top. Having said that, I waited for a deal and got a JTV-59p at less than I paid for the Variax 700 and despite it being back at line 6 to try and fix an issue with the modelling ... As a physical instrument it is head and shoulders above the Variax 700. I really hope the modelling issue can be fixed otherwise it will have to go... I have decent guitars already that feel great and have the mojo, Fender Custom Shop, fender USA, gibson standard and custom, Martin's etc and despite the claim, the variax does not replace those real physical instruments.... And in all honesty I do not expect it to.... But as a playable workhorse, it is nearly there.

It just need to be taken up a notch in tech and reliability, which we hoped the JTV would be.... It is a step in the right direction... But still needs improvement..... iMHO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)