Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling daw transport functions with hd500x

speedygate68

I use my hd500x as my audio interface for recording but want to control transport functions on my pc with the hd500x as well. Can I just get one of those midi to usb cables and plug it in to a second usb port on my pc to be able to control start/stop/record etc while using it as my audio interface? Or do I need to get a separate midi to usb interface?

You should be able to do this by getting something like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B00ACGMOA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480535289&sr=8-1&keywords=midi+to+usb

I've successfully used one of these devices (a cheap one) with the HD500X and Reaper. Not specifically for controlling the transport functions of Reaper but to toggle effects from Reaper. Going the opposite direction would just be a matter of sending a midi cc though this device from the HD into your DAW. Once the DAW sees the midi cc it's probably just a matter of defining what happens in the DAW.

I no longer have my HD500 (got a Helix!), but IIRC the HD does not transmit MIDI via USB. You can do what you want, but you'd need to have a separate interface and use the barrel connectors. I was using a MOTU Fastlane (around $80). You connect the MIDI cables from/to the HD, then connect the Fastlane via USB to your PC.