Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax USB JTV-59 vs Bass

I have both instruments, but never purchased the USB dongle for the bass and have the issue with string volume due to an older firmware.  The instrument doesn't seem to be recognized by the newer USB dongle for the HD Workshop, and obviously the bass has no support for any workshop software.  Do i have to buy a bass pod XT live to flash this bass, or is there a work around?  I assumed the USB to variax would be the same but the .vxf file is not compatible with the .vuf file the Monkey software is looking for.  Perhaps that is to update the firmware of the USB itself though.  Works perfect with the JTV guitar.

I have the old software but it doesn't do anything with the bass either.  The USB to Variax dongle lights up green to USB and green to the JTV, but flashes red with the bass plugged in.  Bass has power.  It is the Line 6 Monkey software that allows me to update firmware, and works on the JTV but not the Bass.  Does the old software only work with the old variax to USB adapter?  Monkey shows my adapter to look like the old stop sign looking setup anyway, so I assumed it worked identical to the old one but I am at a total loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Variax Bass 700/705 have never been supported by any version of WorkBench software. I'm guessing that Line 6 thought that giving a bassist 24 models with tone and blend controls would be enough to keep us happy. They didn't even provide the USB connection that comes with Variax guitars. In the past, I've updated the firmware via XT Live.

If you are having trouble with individual string volumes, there is a calibration method which I found in Knowledge Base (I think). Let me know if you can't find it and I'll see if I can dig out the notes I made at the time.

Myk

Just found this link: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/variax-guitars-bass-workbench/variax-troubleshooting-tips-r519

Hope it helps.