Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo and Ping Pong delay

barks62

Hello all.  I'm wondering if anybody out there uses either the Ping Pong or Stereo delay for their lead tones (for playing live).

I used a Ping Pong delay on my clean tone for one song just to make it an exaggerated, dramatic effect.  It was extremely cool and got me thinking that maybe it could work on my everyday lead tones too... if I tone it down a bit.  In practice I've tried both the Ping Pong and Stereo and I liked them.

Has anybody done this for every song in a gig?  Are they too crazy sounding to be used that much?

I know there is no right and wrong answer for a question like this.  I'm just looking for anybody that might have tried this and either liked or didn't like it.

Generally I use just a digital delay on my leads with mix down to as low as 15% but I have used the ping pong before some some tracks I wanted to sound really shred type tones, but again just way down in the mix. Never used them for a real out front sound.

Stereo FX are marvelous for recording, and can make a guitar sound huge, but in a live setting it can quickly become a mess...if you're using in-ear monitors, it'll sounds great to you, but what's going out to FOH can end up sounding lop-sided depending on where a listener is standing relative to the mains. A lot of people only end up hearing half of the effect.

For me, hardcore stereo effects like ping pong are typically for studio work. 

So few venues and systems are designed to get a great left-right separation. 

But, if you are in one of those situations, it takes a team effort to drive the crowd wild. That means renting out my soundstage so that you can design your patch and work it out with the sound guy and then get the light guy to trail the lights left to right as the sound goes left to right.