Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix V Marshall

pb-272

It's been ages since I even turned on one of my tube amps. So tonight I was mucking about with my patches having played a gig on the weekend, y'know just tweaking based on the night's little learnings. It suddenly occurred to me that I've really learnt how to dial this Helix baby in. The last time I A/B'd my Helix and AMP was when I first got the Helix and I realised I had a lot to learn.

To be honest, the first time I compared my JVM to the Helix I was disappointed.....well tonight I made my JVM sound second rate. My Helix through both QSC K8 & 12 just blew my Marshall away.  The Marshall fizzed about and projected a raw familiar sound, my Marshall patch on the Helix produced an effortless reproduction, only tighter will more definition and clarity, and with that full tube amp sound.

I tell ya...if your not convinced with your Helix, keep learning and tweaking - once you arrive at the sound you want you'll never go back....

• Upvote 1

I think a couple of things happen the longer you own the Helix.  First, you really begin to get a feel for how to precisely manage your sound to get what you're after.  Secondly, because you spend more time on the details of the sound, you tend to hear more detail in the sound and your ears naturally pick out the differences...the things you like and the things you don't like about guitar tones.  If you then go back to a traditional amp you feel that something is off in the sound, but there are no tools to fix it.

To me the Helix has always been about articulation and clarity of tone.  I can go back to a traditional amp and get passable tone, but it always seems a bit muddy with notes and sound blending together.  The Helix in conjunction with a good FRFR setup stands out in this regard.  In fact, it's so efficient in this regard I've found myself spending considerably more time working on various aspects of my technique because on a traditional amp I could get away with a bit of laziness.  The Helix/FRFR setup doesn't really allow that.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see the patch and setup you have please - I'm also coming from a JVM, and don't feel that the Helix is giving me the same tones etc. Using a single K10 instead of a K8 and K12, but would really like to see a copy of the patch you've done if that's possible...?