Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone tried to mix a tune yet with Helix on board fx?

willjrock

Im hoping that i have a chance to give this a go over christmas break. I most curious about how the compression sits, and whether or not the verbs can be used to clearly define the appropriate space for the moment. Not to mention the effectiveness of the EQ for both critical correction and light enhancement.  Im optimistic. What say yee?

Respectfully, im not sure how there could be any confusion at all about what im asking. The thing is, if i thought i could obtain a better quality of sonics, or achieve something my DAW plugins couldnt give me - which is entirely possible - then i would use the helix to mix that track.  For me, its all about the sound, and convenience rarely factors in to my decision making.  Though, if one were to commit the fx as they track, using Helix very well may simplify the recording process comparative to a DAW ...........and then i also ask myself - could a person that may not want to spend money on plugins, suitably compensate, by processing with the fx on board the Helix.  

I've done several tunes with the Helix on-board effects. Typically, the only post-effects I'll put on electric guitars is EQ. Sometimes, depending on the density of the mix, I'll set a sort of "Brauerizer" thing in Reaper where I create separate busses for guitars, bass and drums, and vocal, and apply compression to the whole buss. So I typically don't apply compresison to just a single guitar track. But as far as delay, reverb, and everything else, yeah, I typically use the Helix effects.

• Upvote 1

This is entirely possible however I'm certain you won't get the flexibility of plugins and the effort track by track to re-record will be massive. You can't just adjust the effect like with a plugin; you will have to adjust and re-record maybe multiple times if you don't get the result you are after.

I am however very interested in how you get on and for what it's worth good luck m8.

• Upvote 1

@willjrock --

I've been using the Helix for recording electric guitar and bass into Logic Pro X, and it works well. Bottom line is that Helix gives you extreme flexibility between itself and your DAW. Here's what I often do (in general):

Tracking: record a mono dry track (USB 7) while monitoring and recording a stereo wet "scratch" track (USB 1/2).

Mixing: tweak Helix guitar tone to sit in the mix. I usually get it sounding as good in the rough mix as possible. Depending on the prominence of the track, I may or may not use Helix reverbs (as I usually prefer to use my Phoenix plugin reverb). I set tempo on the Helix to the track if I'm using time-based Helix FX such as delay. If I need additional EQ or compression on the track when polishing the mix, I do that in the DAW.

Bass vs Guitar: I usually blend the mono dry bass "DI" track, adding plug-in effects (eg Distressor, etc) with a duplicate mono track processed in the Helix like a bass amp (amp + IR). For guitar I use a stereo wet track, which may or may not be mixed as mono during the final mix.

Keyboard, Vocals, Etc: the Helix FX work nicely on non-guitar tracks, and are open to experimentation.

MIDI control: I control Helix presets, footswitches and snapshots on the fly using a MIDI control track in Logic, sent to the Helix to make changes while the song is recording any wet tracks.

• Upvote 1

The tracks I've done by myself I've used a little of both.  By and large the basic guitar sound is Helix as far as the amp and very basic fx elements such as OD, chorus and such.  Things such as EQ, compression and reverb/delay I'll apply in the DAW just to make sure I stay consistent.

Very often I capture the recording in a live recording session of the whole band in the old school ways from back in the 70's with a separate mobile multitrack recorder then bring the tracks individually into the DAW for mixing.  In that case it's generally only EQ though I might add some touches of reverb or delay.

• Upvote 1

Personally i wouldn't use the helix FX for mix unless there was a certain effect i did not have. 

If you want to do it, the smartest way (as I see it) would be to setup 3 paths on the helix with each there USB input and use them as FX-BUS 1, 2, and 3 in the DAW. 

This of course mostly makes sense wet FX and not to the use of EQ etc. 
If you want to use the helix exclusively for FX you would end up using a LOT of time re-recording the tracks with the desired effects and tweaks. 

Definitely record "dry" and reamp if you want to use ambient effects (delays, reverbs). I prefer to track with a "good enough" and track the dry guitar along with it, do any editing I need to do with the dry track as a guide, then either re-amp the dry track with all the amps/effects I want or send the recorded amp track through a patch with just my "wet" effects for a track I can mix in under the original dry track. Helix effects are top notch for guitar, for sure.

+1 @gunpointmetal. The ability to tweak tone after recording your dry guitar track—while mixing—is awesome. You can combine plug-in effects with Helix effects as you like. Bonus: using the Helix as an "external hardware effects processor" opens up lots of additional fun possibilities, even beyond guitars.

Aside from reamping duties, I'll route DAW tracks—namely synths or entire BG vocal busses—through Helix distortions and delays all the time. I used to use step up/step down, DI, and impedance matching boxes before to hook up my real stomps, and now I don't have to. :)

As for reverbs, I'll use Particle Verb and Octo Verb on auxes, but for more realistic rooms and ambience, I have Lexicon, UA, and Eventide plugins (plus Logic's Space Designer). More Helix reverbs are coming... eventually.

Interesting topic.  I hand't even thought about using Helix in DAW Aux busses.  Makes total sense with 4 separate Helix paths available set to USB and the Helix editor up right in front of you on screen along with your DAW just like a plug in.  You could probably get USB MIDI control involved for preset/snapshot/settings recall.  

Geez, I could probably get some of my pedals and other analog gear back in play through Helix into my DAW (even though I don't use them live anymore).  I've got all of the gear for the "dream rack", RJM gizmos & loops, Marshall JPM-1+100/100, Mesa Triaxis+2:90, 3 Mesa heads, pedal drawers, cab switchers, TAD amp Silencer, etc.  That setup is cool if you don't have to move it, and I've never set it all up together as an uber-rig.  I should rack and wire it all up to a Helix "docking station". 

Very cool....new project...GO!!!

@roscoe5 --- yeah, go for it. I didn't even think about the Send/Return capability for adding your other analog gear and pedals, great idea.

Re: MIDI control. Most DAWS allow you to control external MIDI equipment. In Logic Pro X, I dedicate a track to send MIDI commands to control the Helix, so its easy to place snapshot and foot switch commands in the timeline of the song. Then, when you record your track(s,) its fun to just sit back and watch the robots work together!