Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone tried Variax Standard with Fishman Aura Spectrum or Zoom A3?

csho

This will not work. The Variax Standard acoustic models already model an acoustic guitar. That is, they take the raw piezo pickup outputs and translate them to something that would come from an acoustic guitar based on the modeled instrument. The Fishman Aura and similar products, including using acoustic guitar IRs in Helix, usually expect the input to be a raw piece output or the output from a magnetic pickup (if its an IR for an electric guitar acoustic tone). Using these with the Variax Standard would be putting the piezo pickup output into two acoustic guitar bodies. This would sound unnatural and have a lot of odd resonances.

I have asked Line6 to provide a neutral body image for the raw piezo pickups as a Variax option, that would allow us to use a Variax with acoustic IRs in Helix. Not sure there's any new development going on on Variax these days, or if this will ever be provided. But it would really open up the usability of a Variax.

• Upvote 2

This will not work. The Variax Standard acoustic models already model an acoustic guitar. That is, they take the raw piezo pickup outputs and translate them to something that would come from an acoustic guitar based on the modeled instrument. The Fishman Aura and similar products, including using acoustic guitar IRs in Helix, usually expect the input to be a raw piece output or the output from a magnetic pickup (if its an IR for an electric guitar acoustic tone). Using these with the Variax Standard would be putting the piezo pickup output into two acoustic guitar bodies. This would sound unnatural and have a lot of odd resonances.

I have asked Line6 to provide a neutral body image for the raw piezo pickups as a Variax option, that would allow us to use a Variax with acoustic IRs in Helix. Not sure there's any new development going on on Variax these days, or if this will ever be provided. But it would really open up the usability of a Variax.

Thanks amsdenj for your valuable input and your request to Line 6. I benefited from many of your postings / knowledge-sharing.

Yes i feel that the usability of a Variax can be more ... not only limited to the current guitar modelling bodies. (i also wonder why a nylon guitar model is not provided in WB HD).

I really hope that Line 6 will respond to such requests in the near future.

I have played the Fishman Aura Spectrum, and it is a really nice sounding box for normal piezos.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with Variax.  I tried Variax with a few other IRs or body resonance type processing and it never sounds very good, so I just use the Variax models as they are.  I guess its similar to running cabinet IRs into other cabinet IRs, or into real cabinets.

I too would love to see both the Nylon Model, and a flat/neutral piezo in Variax HD.  Below are the links to the ideas if you haven't upvoted them on Idea Scale yet.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Nylon-String-in-Tyler-Variax-update/491047-23508

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Clean-piezo-signal-from-JTV/515946-23508

I recently got one of Yamaha's Slient guitars, and they give you the option to blend between the piezo and a mic'd sound.  I would love to see Line 6 borrow that feature.

• Upvote 1

I have played the Fishman Aura Spectrum, and it is a really nice sounding box for normal piezos.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with Variax.  I tried Variax with a few other IRs or body resonance type processing and it never sounds very good, so I just use the Variax models as they are.  I guess its similar to running cabinet IRs into other cabinet IRs, or into real cabinets.

I too would love to see both the Nylon Model, and a flat/neutral piezo in Variax HD.  Below are the links to the ideas if you haven't upvoted them on Idea Scale yet.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Nylon-String-in-Tyler-Variax-update/491047-23508

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Clean-piezo-signal-from-JTV/515946-23508

I recently got one of Yamaha's Slient guitars, and they give you the option to blend between the piezo and a mic'd sound.  I would love to see Line 6 borrow that feature.

Wow, thanks for sharing your experience.

I have upvoted both ideas. Not sure if Line 6 will be working on them as these ideas were submitted years ago.. 

Let's unfold the full potential of a Variax!