#61 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Small update:

As predicted, removing system 7 (the unit that usually has worse rf) had no effect on the popping sound in other mics.

I plan to meet up with my foh friend and hand off a mic for him to try at his venue.  Also a small correction: It was mentioned to use him as a line6 dealer to call line6 as a way to get more attention to this problem.  As it turns out he is not a line6 dealer. He tried to become one, called line6 numerous times to inquire about dealership but line6 never returned his calls. So that avenue is not an option.

Thanks

#62 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like you next move should be to return one unit to Line 6 for testing.  As I mentioned before I could see no evidence of popping in the file you posted so it would be helpful if we could run it through a series of tests.  Again, it's still unlikely that you could have a bunch of misbehaving units.  I could see if it was one or even two but seven bad ones would usually suggest sonething in the system or local conditions would be more likely.  But sending it back will tell us.

#63 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hello everyone.

Another update.

If it is helpful to you, I have a new sample to send

https://dl.dropboxus...noisesample.wav

I must admit I do not hear this example as well on my low-mid grade computer speakers. But on my nicer headphones at foh at practice it sounded pretty bad. Try to use phones if you have them.

This is a different singer and mic from the other samples.  This is a little different sounding. A more consistent digitized type sound, and notice the "S" sound as well.

I currently have the other mic, the one that recorded the other samples I've sent, in the other venue for testing there.

Thanks

#64 Sheriton

Sheriton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Well that new sample doesn't sound like an RF issue. It's quite severe sibilance and as you say, an underlying more constant sound. Is the signal chain on that one just singer->mic transmitter->receiver->recorder?

#65 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Yes.

#66 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hello all.

A couple of updates again.

I've loaned one mic to another church for a week now, and they have not noticed any abnormalities.

I have a new sample. 

https://dl.dropboxus...noisesample.wav

Rather than the typical clicking type sound, notice the distortion and sibilance. Also, you may notice a digitized type sound under the vocal, similar to the clicking, throughout the rest of the track.

Almost sounds like clipping somehow.

A couple of other oddities to go with that sample.

After this recording, the mic was passed to a male vocalist where the digitized/distortion sound was no longer detected, and I noticed something else.  When the male vocalist was using a higher falsetto voice, I detected no abnormalities. When a lower bass voice was used (same vocalist doing a couple different parts) the clicking was immediately noticed.

None of this makes much sense to me, maybe it will be helpful info to some of you.

I've been working also with the nearest Line6 service center, and I have sent the recordings there as well, no progress has been made from that avenue either.

Thanks again.

#67 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

OK ... I am hearing noise in this recording.  But I cannot download the file from your link.  Can you please email it to me again.

Just to make certain what we are dealing with respect to this exact recording please answer ...

Which XDV system? 70 or 75

which firmware?

which mic model were you using?

which mode ... RF1 or 2?

If you were using V2.x firmware was the output level boosted any above 0dB?  or cut to below 0dB?

please confirm that the recording was directly from one of the two outputs with nothing else in the path

what was the recording made on?

I'm assuming you made this recording on the same Zoom recorder as last time.  Is that recorder using an ac powwer supply or being run on batteries?

#68 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

V70

2.02 I think. I will confirm if this isn't the most recent. I checked recently for updates and there were none.

L6 model. Though sm58 model has been used in testing as well.

I normally use RF1. RF2 has been attempted in the past.

Output is at the default 0.

The recorder was connected to the receiver via the 1/4" jack.

I am using a zoom h4n recorder using batteries for these recordings.

#69 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

So we analyzed the file and our best guess is that the noise is from something mechanical. It comes and goes during the recording. If it were something digital we would expect it to be there all of the time. Possibly the capsule has picked up some metal shavings or possible the pogo pins are not contacting the printed circuit board correctly. Hard to say for certain without having the unit in house.

Do you have your mics marked in a way that you know it's always the same unit making noise? Could you try switching capsules on the mix that was used in the recording?

#70 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

I have identified the issues in the same mics yes. 

I have removed the capsules and cleaned the pins and capsule contacts in the past. I will change some of the capsules with systems that I have not found this issue in so far.

Thanks

#71 unc417

unc417

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Switching capsules made no difference.

Have you any thoughts on the issue of the ticking sound being related to the vocal tone on the mic?

I mentioned that I have noticed the sound in the same mics. I also recently mentioned the oddity that on the same mic, same vocal, the ticking appeared and disappeared based on the high or low pitch being used.  The mics that I have been monitoring for months with the ticking are all male vocals, the mics that I have not observed the ticking are all female vocal mics.  Perhaps this issue is present in all mics but the higher pitch of the female vocals have masked it? Does this observation of a possible relationship between the ticking and low pitch make any sense to you? It sounds very strange I know, but the observations were very clear.

Thanks

#72 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I guess it's time to send us back one of the systems that you hear noise on and let us bench check it.  I pretty much am just guessing as to the most likely possibilities, which is all I can do from here without having the actual system in front of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users