Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4CM send and return blocks

pappatoad

Please forgive me for being a noob on the forum. I have  question regarding the 4CM method and using the send and return blocks. I am going to use a combination of my amp distortion, clean, and the clean from the Helix into the effects return of the amp. I will use different snapshots to accomplish what I want to do. I believe I understand all I need to get started configuring them except the send/return blocks for using my amp as the preamp. I watched Richie Castellano's video first and that is where I found the need for the send block to get my amp sounds... but I watched another video from Paul Glover and he has a return block set up as well. My question is ... Is there really a difference or a need for the return block? It sounds like in Richie's video that he has his tone and effects... and same thing in Paul's video... so thus the confusion... is the return block needed to use your amps preamp with the helix? 

im using a dual rec in 4cm and just utilise the loop block.in my chain i place it after a wah,distortion or any other front end stuff,then after the loop block i have other effects and then the chain just goes to the output of the helix that goes to amps fx return.i dont use the individual send/return blocks,they are kind for sending signals of to say other amps or used to have 4 different inputs i.e. different guitars all plugged in at once.

just incase your not familiar with 4cm here goes.

guitar>helix input

helix fx loop1 send>amp input

amp fx loop send>helix loop 1 return

helix main output>amp fx return

this basically makes your amps pre-amp section the loop1 block,turn that block off and you are routed straight to the amps power section,use this if you are running an a pre-amp block.this also allows you to place fx before and after the loop1 block,very handy set up and works amazingly for me

Ok.. I have the connections set up as you said... so good there... now you use a Loop block? I guess I missed that block info somewhere.. I thought there should be something like that since the 4CM method is utilizing the 1st loop setup on my helix. I will try that tonight.

• 5 years later...

I found that switching send/return and output level between instrument and line level affects tone as much as volume on my amp. It's probably mostly the Fletcher–Munson effect, but if it works, it works. I play single coils with guitar volume at 7 or 8, so even with line level going to the amp input, I've got plenty of headroom. If you're rocking humbuckers into a boost pedal, I would turn down the master before flipping switches. Probably a good idea regardless.