Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High gain tones from pod HD500

Harikiri231998

This topic has probably been covered before, but I can't find anyone describing patch creation for use with a physical amp. Also new to the forum and as such have no idea on guidelines and the like.

I'm using an ibanez RGDIX 7 string with passive pickups into the pod HD, into the power amp of my spidervalve hd100 mki via 4 cable method, if that helps anyone.

Any help appreciated as I have literally no idea where to begin with setting this thing up for high gain tones

It's hard to tell how to achieve a good tone because everyone has a different taste/gear, that is why custom tone isn't useful!... but anyway... if you are using the 4 cable method it is expected that you will use the preamp of your physical amp instead of the AMP SIM and probably add only some coloration using other effects (like a screamer, compressor, etc) however, since nothing is written in stone... using the 4CM I do the following to create my tones:

1) Set the output mode to "Combo/Stack PWRAMP"

2) Add the FX LOOP Block and place it after the MIXER (switched on)

3) Start with an AMP, I recommend the TREADPLATE (to mention one) and adjust the controls as you wish,

4) If I find too much noise, I place a GATE as the first effect in my chain,

5) after that, I usually add a Screamer (for solos or coloration) or a Compressor, all of this BEFORE the AMP & the FX LOOP Block.

6) Delays & reverbs: I place them after the FX LOOP BLOCK. 

You can start with that, of course there is a lot more... check this guide: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ 

Right, so 4CM is best used when using the pod for effects only?

In that case, how would you recommend connecting the pod to my amp if I was planning on using the pods amp models?

Also, I found the guide informative, but it was a little hard to follow for someone with only basic knowledge of sound engineering

Cheers for the quick reply tho

I have a SVMKI too and TBH run the HD into the FX loop and skip the SV's preamp section altogether. You have nothing to gain going 4CM with the SV. HD output => studio direct sounds great to me but feel free to jump around and hear what the differences are.

TBH though the SV is pretty f-ing sweet on its own.

Srsly helpful advice guys, I'm finding using the stack front option is yielding decent results but I'll experiment with other options. Although it's probably worth noting that I am using a physical head and cab setup and am intending on using this setup live

+1 on the spidervalve being a great amp on its own, destroys the Marshall DSL head my college has IMO, for high gain at least

I found it disappointing sounding to start with, but it definitely came into its own once you get the master volume past 4

So I should use studio/direct or stack power amp instead?

How should I go about creating modern high gain patches for this setup?

You should throw out any notions of the "right" way to do things, because there aren't any. The various output modes are nothing more that EQ curves, theoretically optimized for a particular type of set-up. However, the "one-size-fits-all" approach has a nasty way of not working out from one player to the next. Experiment with the various options, and let your ears tell you if it works or not. If it sounds good, then that's the "right" way to set it up.

I get it now, thanks

One thing I am finding is that there's a lot of excess low end and excess digital fizz when using the treadplate model with the xxl v30 cab impulse, regardless of output mode. Is there a certain way to eq this out to make the patch sound a lil more analogue. I find that even the preamp models on the spidervalve don't have this excess boom and fizz

Either way, the information on here is really helping a first time pod user!

The mid focus eq and Rez control definitely helps, but there's still this cold almost muffled tone and I know the pod can be made to sound much better than that

Which frequencies should I cut or boost to get rid of that?

What Hurghanico and Joel Brown said. There are some tips on dialling in the Mesa / Treadplate model here which may help. Note the cab choice.

Which frequencies should I cut or boost to get rid of that?

Any number that someone might throw at you would only be a guess...it's dependent mostly on what you're listening through, and the environment you're in. Every set of headphones, studio monitors, or other speakers are all gonna be different. All you can do is sweep through various frequencies until you find the irritating ones that are cluttering up your tone.

I'd already found that post and made sure I had input 2 set to variax, other tips were helpful though

Maybe it's just a matter of getting to learn the ins and outs of this thing and learning to eq properly

Another thing to watch out for is your CHANNEL VOLUME. This is often best set at around 45% on high gain models or it will cause effects blocks placed after the amp to clip.

Look into the use of the Para EQ - IIRC Meambobbo's guide right it uses a high and low pass filter for its mid boost. As you probably found out by now the fizz is up ~ 7-8 k (80%?) and the bottom end flub start around 100k and move a narrow band Q to find it. The % really is a bugger for Eqs so use a fresh pair of ears when dialing it in.