Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69 alternate tuning 1/2 step down sound issues

Just purchased a great lightly used JTV 69 and love all the sounds but the drop 1/2 step tuning sounds like crap.(Sorry for the colorful language) :)

If you strum the open strings from high to low don't sound consistent especially on B and High E. Very discordant.

When I play chords just sounds bad. All other turnings seem pleasing to my ear.

It sounds like it's way out of tune on some strings and very robotic. Please note I've carefully tuned the guitar.

I've also turned my amp up loud so I'm not hearing the difference between regular strings and alternate tuning. Also makes no difference with head phones.

Thanks for any ideas as this one has me scratching my head. 

Just purchased a great lightly used JTV 69 and love all the sounds but the drop 1/2 step tuning sounds like crap.(Sorry for the colorful language) :)

If you strum the open strings from high to low don't sound consistent especially on B and High E. Very discordant.

When I play chords just sounds bad. All other turnings seem pleasing to my ear.

It sounds like it's way out of tune on some strings and very robotic. Please note I've carefully tuned the guitar.

I've also turned my amp up loud so I'm not hearing the difference between regular strings and alternate tuning. Also makes no difference with head phones.

Thanks for any ideas as this one has me scratching my head.

Out-of-whack intonation will wreak havoc with the alt tunings. If it's used, God only knows the last time it was set-up properly. I'd start with that before worrying about the firmware.