Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware updates necessary?

KnockSue

Hello,

My husband has a line 6 and has figured out how to use it but says to me "I want to do a firmware update but I need you to help me back it up first"

I came here and quickly became overwhelmed with the info about backing up. So now I'm wondering why would it even be necessary to do updates. I know he did some firmware updates when he first got the Helix one year ago.

It is beneficial to do the update. There have been new features and models added this year.

To back up the Helix device before updating, connect Helix to your computer using the USB connection and run the current Helix app/editor which should be installed on your computer. Select a Setlist and use the Export command to make a copy of the setlist on your computer. Do this for each setlist. Do not use the Export Bundle command - that is not a good option before updating.

To update, go to the Downloads section of this website (under the Support tab above). Select Helix in the middle (Software) field. You will be presented with a detailed set of instructions, along with a Get Download button. Get the download and follow the instructions carefully.

STOP!!!

If your husband uses IRs (he'll know if he does), there are additional steps you'll need to do, both during backup and restore. I'm sorry but I don't have time to describe them now. Other posts here do, and other people may be able to describe the process.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but there's a good chance that someone who doesn't know how to back up their Helix isn't using IRs, so this may not matter. But ask him, so you don't end up with a mess.

It's accepted practice now to release equipment that has needed fixes after the sale.

We (well most of us) consumers are our own worst enemy lol.

And it's also the only way to get the add on's added later like new amps,effects etc.