Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do yourself a favor and check this periodically: versioning

HonestOpinion

I highly recommend everyone do this periodically/now but particularly before and after updating firmware, and making backups for firmware updates. Go into the Editor's 'Help/About' section (upper left hand corner of the Editor) and confirm that your Editor version is the same as the firmware version indicated below it in the Editor screen. Do not update your firmware until you have backups from a version of the Editor that matches your current firmware. The Editor version should also match the firmware version that comes up when you first start your Helix. This may seem unnecessary but I think some will be surprised to find that their Editor version does not match their firmware version, even though they executed all the right steps (or didn't ;) ) during upgrading.  Sometimes the Helix software must be uninstalled first and reinstalled to get the software to install properly or get rid of stale registry entries or links. You may be using an older mismatched version of the Editor and not even realize it. Especially in cases where the difference between the Editor versions is subtle as in the change between 2.10 and 2.11. Having a version of the Editor that does not match your current firmware can cause problems with your loads from backups in future firmware versions as well as a number of random issues with using the Editor. I wager some users will be surprised to find that their firmware and Editor versions are not the same after doing this check.

Update: The HX Edit version that matches your firmware version are not always the same. For example, currently HX Edit 2.52 is matched with firmware 2.53.

I checked mine and it does show that the editor is 2.10 whereas the firmware on my Helix and on Editor home screen say 2.11.

Is there a way to install the editor without hooking up the Helix? I don't want to go through the reinstallation of IR's and settings etc.

I checked mine and it does show that the editor is 2.10 whereas the firmware on my Helix and on Editor home screen say 2.11.

Is there a way to install the editor without hooking up the Helix? I don't want to go through the reinstallation of IR's and settings etc.

You may want to uninstall the old Helix software on your PC first, then just download and install the 2.11 'Helix' application. This will unpack the latest version of the Editor, Updater, and driver. You do not have to run the Updater and reinstall the firmware again if you are already on version 2.11 on the Helix.

This is a problem with Windows 8.1 & probably 10 that I've run into one or two times. The os is over protective, and the software is not "signed" in its view..

I found it didn't install until I took admin control (on my pc that I built). It still asks for admin permission to start up the editor. Maddening...

Dave

I just by habit as a tech, I uninstall old editor/software after backup and before installing new editor/software...

May not need too, but I have learned through the years, it is always the safe thing to do.

Yep!

I uninstall first as well.  I even use IObit uninstaller to get everything possible that can be cleanly removed.  I am sure there are other and even better uninistallers but I just add that as an extra measure for me.  YMMV. :blink:

Dennis

• 1 year later...

I have windows 7 and will not let me open the updater line 6. I get a window that tells me: look for solution online / close the program. Does anyone have any idea how to solve it? Thank you

Tengo windows 7 y no me deja abrir el updater de line 6. Me aparece una ventana que me dice: buscar solución online/cerrar el programa.  Alguien tiene idea de como solucionarlo? Gracias¡ 

I have windows 7 and will not let me open the updater line 6. I get a window that tells me: look for solution online / close the program. Does anyone have any idea how to solve it? Thank you

Tengo windows 7 y no me deja abrir el updater de line 6. Me aparece una ventana que me dice: buscar solución online/cerrar el programa.  Alguien tiene idea de como solucionarlo? Gracias¡ 

I would try the more obvious fixes first, rebooting the PC and changing the USB port I have the Helix plugged into. Could we get some more information. What device do you have Helix, LT, or HX Effects?  What version of HX Edit are you running and what version of the firmware are you on? Have you downloaded and installed HX Edit 2.52?  If so, I would uninstall it and download and unpack it again. Also, do you have HX Edit closed when you try to open the Line6 Updater? You don't want both up at the same time.

• Upvote 1

This WAS true but currently the HX Edit is on version 2.52 and the Helix firmware on 2.53. Be careful.

Good point. Getting the "matching" firmware for your HX Edit version does NOT necessarily imply that they will be the same version numbers. Sometimes the matching pair have different version numbers as brue58ski pointed out.

I highly recommend everyone do this periodically/now but particularly before and after updating firmware, and making backups for firmware updates. Go into the Editor's 'Help/About' section (upper left hand corner of the Editor) and confirm that your Editor version is the same as the firmware version indicated below it in the Editor screen. Do not update your firmware until you have backups from a version of the Editor that matches your current firmware. The Editor version should also match the firmware version that comes up when you first start your Helix. This may seem unnecessary but I think some will be surprised to find that their Editor version does not match their firmware version, even though they executed all the right steps (or didn't ;) ) during upgrading.  Sometimes the Helix software must be uninstalled first and reinstalled to get the software to install properly or get rid of stale registry entries or links. You may be using an older mismatched version of the Editor and not even realize it. Especially in cases where the difference between the Editor versions is subtle as in the change between 2.10 and 2.11. Having a version of the Editor that does not match your current firmware can cause problems with your loads from backups in future firmware versions as well as a number of random issues with using the Editor. I wager some users will be surprised to find that their firmware and Editor versions are not the same after doing this check.

Thanks @HonestOpinion great advice .. Even though some updates say they include the latest software version and applications, they don't always get updated and need to be installed individually depending on your computer/.  .. You can check the current line 6 updater it in the file location under properties / details to see if it's the current version. It's not always displayed on the desktop shortcut..  current Line 6 updater is 1.14