23 replies to this topic

#21 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Just curious - How complicated is swapping out this bridge for the stock JTV-59 bridge? Do the piezos terminate with the same connectors that are on the original? It would be a lot more doable for me if it was a more-or-less drop-in replacement. I would hate to have to go out & drop another $200 on an almost brand new instrument for this, but if it's a significant improvement in the modeling sounds, or should I say, a reduction in added extraneous noise, it might be worth it to me.

#22 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

I am considering sticking a nice ultra high impedance buffer preamp in front of everything. It works wonders on my other piezo equipped gear(basses) so it couldn't hurt.

I strongly suspect the Variax electronics have an input preamp with the appropriate impedance, gain and headroom.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#23 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

It absolutely has to have an ultra high impedance preamp.  Piezos require it.  Adding another will be useless.  The important thing is that there is enough headroom all the way through the signal chain - A/D, Modeling, D/A.  Any clipping will cause evil artifacts.

#24 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

I am away from home for a month once again. I go home for 2 days and leave for 3 weeks. Once I get more than two days down time I will order one and have it installed on my LP transplant. If it works and improves the guitar I will buy more and install on all my transplants. The great news with that is the old bridges can go back on the donor bodies. I still have all the original pickups so all I need are pots and a plastic cover to convert the variax output to standard 1/4 inch and I will have 4 decent LP type guitars.

What I will do with them I have no idea. . . . .. lol. Maybe hold onto them so if in a few years gen 3 variax comes out, I stick the gen 2 parts back in these suckers to sell em, and then buy 7 gen 3 guitars to update transplants? lol Doubtful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users