43 replies to this topic

#41 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Guitar output impedance is a combination of the Pickup impedance and the cable impedance.  The cable is capacitive.  The pickup is resistive and inductive.  The combination affects the frequency response of the pickups and shapes the tone.  There is no "right" value.  Just play with it until you like the tone you are getting.

#42 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

It's nothing to be debated.  It is a scientific fact that the cable C acts in conjunction with the PUP H and pot values to form a peak at a specific frequency.  Any engineer worth his/her salt knows that.  The frequency shift  is exponentially less with higher H PUP's, and many PUP's lack highs to begin with due to internal eddy current shorts.   That may be why some people don't hear it.  

#43 procletnic

procletnic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

TubeScreamer (or OD808) with output set to 100% and the drive set to 0% is the most common setting used to boost an amp in modern metal history. OD808 with the said settings going into a dual rectifier is the definition of "huge & tight" so I don't know what you're talking about dude.

#44 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

TubeScreamer (or OD808) with output set to 100% and the drive set to 0% is the most common setting used to boost an amp in modern metal history. OD808 with the said settings going into a dual rectifier is the definition of "huge & tight" so I don't know what you're talking about dude.

I'm not a metal player, but I can see how that would work.  Still, I've always wondered why anyone would want to use an IC-based pedal in front of a finely tuned tube amp -- seems counter productive in a way.  There must be a better way to soften/tighten the response without sacrificing sensitivity.  I remember really liking the rack mount Chandler Tube Driver from the 80's.  The contour knob (not present on the floor unit) achieved that kind of softening, while still retaining the dynamic sensitivity of the tubes -- all of which can be modeled.  The TS thing sort of snowballed into a legend.   Also, I'd want to make sure I wasn't clipping the amp model input.  Not sure if that can occur, as can with FX pedals.  It's something to consider regarding fizz.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, pod, record, usb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users