Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Sound Is Different When I Record Via Usb

vilo1968

It's nothing to be debated.  It is a scientific fact that the cable C acts in conjunction with the PUP H and pot values to form a peak at a specific frequency.  Any engineer worth his/her salt knows that.  The frequency shift  is exponentially less with higher H PUP's, and many PUP's lack highs to begin with due to internal eddy current shorts.   That may be why some people don't hear it.  

TubeScreamer (or OD808) with output set to 100% and the drive set to 0% is the most common setting used to boost an amp in modern metal history. OD808 with the said settings going into a dual rectifier is the definition of "huge & tight" so I don't know what you're talking about dude.

TubeScreamer (or OD808) with output set to 100% and the drive set to 0% is the most common setting used to boost an amp in modern metal history. OD808 with the said settings going into a dual rectifier is the definition of "huge & tight" so I don't know what you're talking about dude.

I'm not a metal player, but I can see how that would work.  Still, I've always wondered why anyone would want to use an IC-based pedal in front of a finely tuned tube amp -- seems counter productive in a way.  There must be a better way to soften/tighten the response without sacrificing sensitivity.  I remember really liking the rack mount Chandler Tube Driver from the 80's.  The contour knob (not present on the floor unit) achieved that kind of softening, while still retaining the dynamic sensitivity of the tubes -- all of which can be modeled.  The TS thing sort of snowballed into a legend.   Also, I'd want to make sure I wasn't clipping the amp model input.  Not sure if that can occur, as can with FX pedals.  It's something to consider regarding fizz.

• 3 years later...

It's a parameter that you can change in any of the patches. In the HD Edit window using the PC or Mac editor, in the left panel you will see  setting for input 1 source, input 2 source, guitar in-.Z and input set up (can be set to global so you don't change it per patch)

This is really a great feature and it involves having the hardware that's already part of the HD 500  but not in the HD300 or 400.

In summary older fuzz peda, corus etcl and effects have a very low impedance level which means if you plugged your guitar into a big muff or fuzz face , due to these effects having low impedance, your guitar pickups are  "loaded" which means the equivalent or something similar to having a tone control on your guitar with low impedance (250k popular with fenders and 500k with lesspaul type guitars). So alot of high frequencies are rolled off, so the guitar will sound warmer or darker.

POD HD simulate this  and it has the hardware on board. So in your POD HD signal chain you have a tube screamer, the real world tube screamer that line 6 modeled had a 250k impedance. To get this effect you can manually choose input z to to 250k. Now your guitar pickups are loaded and high frequencies are rolled off.  If this ini-z setting is set to auto, POD HD will only change based on the first effect in the signal chain. This setting is not ideal since most people put the noise gate first (which if you look up in the manual) has an impedance of 1 mg same as amp without effects. 

Hope this helps clarify..

really really helpful! thanks for saving a lot of our efforts <3