Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk into Bass Amp Effects Loop As Stage Monitor?

Chuck10989

Hi All:
Love my Firehawk.  Sold my bigger combo because I am switching to the Firehawk as my main rig.  Because of this, I am looking for something to use as a stage monitor, as I will send the Firehawk directly to the PA.  Then it dawned on me--I  am also a part time bass player and have a Fender Rumble 100 Bass Amp with an effects loop.  So I am wondering:

1) Am I risking damage to the bass amp running the firehawk through it?

2) I've done a low volume trial of running Firehawk into the effects return, and it sounds to me like a pretty "pure" amplification of the Firehawk.  That is, the tone doesn't seem to be colored by the amp controls or speaker design.   Does that seem right?  I'd like to hear a pretty close approximation to what is coming out the PA.

3) Anything else I should be considering?

I know a powered monitor is generally recommended, but prefer not to spend the extra $ for now if I already have the gear to do the job in my house.

Thanks in advance!

It'll work but you'll lose some high end due to the speaker design in the bass amp, I've tried this in the past with a hartke bass amp because it was all I had to hand while I was waiting for delivery of a stagesource lt3.

It got me out of a tight spot as I had a gig but man was I glad when the lt3 turned up , sounded so much better! But obviously a lot more expensive when compared to free lol.

Your going to have to be very disciplined and not tweak your patches though if they've been set up for a PA, obviously if you tweak it so it sounds great through the bass amp it will probably sound awful front of house

Oh the other thing is , if you are running to a PA can't you route the signal to existing stage monitors? Not sure if you have them at the venue your playing?

I do that at some of our gigs and it's great as I just need to turn up with a guitar and my firehawk, no amp required