4 replies to this topic

#1 bentvicar

bentvicar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi, I am trying to get a tone close the basic tone on the first five Black Sabbath albums. During this period Tony Iommi was using a Laney Supergroup head boosted with a Dallas Arbiter Treble Booster. The closest thing to the Laney on the HD 500 is probably the Plexi, any ideas which of the pedals would give a boost similar to the treble booster? or has anyone achieved a good Sabbath tone in some other way? There is very little in Custom Tone, and to my ears they don't come close to the Iommi tone.

#2 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

A combination of the Colordrive and the Q Filter with the Plexi gave me a decent Black Sabbath (the song) sound once. If you want to use external effects, there's also the VST "Rangebastard" that clones a Rangemaster. I've tried it with mixed results, probably because of wrong settings in the DAW. Let me know if you have more luck with it :)

#3 bentvicar

bentvicar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will give the Coulordrive and Q filter a try, what were you amp and effects settings? I have been getting fair results with the Overdrive pedal which is supposed to be a DOD 250 Sim, fair results, but it lacks edge. I am new to the HD500x so I am still finding my way around, I will have a look for the rangebastard.

#4 steele666

steele666

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Honestly what I use to get an early sabbath sound is the Engl F-ball, I lower the gain way down, raise the master volume a bit. Then I throw the blue comp+treble and adjust to taste. It makes a very good sabbath sound. I use it for everything from Black Sabbath to Mob Rules

#5 bentvicar

bentvicar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have tried the blue comp with the Plexi, I will give the Engl a try, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users