Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Help Setting Up X3 With New Comp/ Win 8

TVisentine

I am trying to set up my podx3 live and I am having some issues.  I have the dowload monkey and all drivers are up to date.  I plugged my pod into the usb port but I am not getting any sound.  I am using windows 8 and I am still trying to figure it out, so maybe there is some kind of config I am missing.  I am using the built in sound card, Realtek High Def Audio, and have 2 KRK speakers running into the headphone jack.  As far as playing media,  I get sound from the computer just fine.  Also, I am going to be recording using Sonarx2, so any suggestions setting that up with the pod would be greatly appreciatted.

You have to plug the speakers into the x3 you will not use your internal sound card the x3 becomes your sound card.

Appreciate the repy, will go get an external sound card then.  Hoping I wasnt going to have to do that, but I don't want to have to plug in and unplug stuff alot.

it's part of the ASIO specifications... you'll need to do that with ANY quality recording card/device regardless of manufacturer.

if you want to use an separate card you can.. but you will lose some of the great recording features of the x3.

for example with the x3 over usb you can record 8 feeds:

1/2=tone1 stereo

3/4=tone2 stereo

5/6=tone1+ton2 stereo blend

7/8= tone1/tone2 inputs (dry for later re-amping)

(all digital)

you won't get that out of another interface...

you will get whatever analog feeds you plug into you other interface...

making it a pain to try to wire up etc if you want to keep everything separate as well as record the inputs dry.

obviously do what you need to do... but an informed decision is always a good thing.

it's part of the ASIO specifications... you'll need to do that with ANY quality recording card/device regardless of manufacturer.

if you want to use an separate card you can.. but you will lose some of the great recording features of the x3.

for example with the x3 over usb you can record 8 feeds:

1/2=tone1 stereo

3/4=tone2 stereo

5/6=tone1+ton2 stereo blend

7/8= tone1/tone2 inputs (dry for later re-amping)

(all digital)

you won't get that out of another interface...

you will get whatever analog feeds you plug into you other interface...

making it a pain to try to wire up etc if you want to keep everything separate as well as record the inputs dry.

obviously do what you need to do... but an informed decision is always a good thing.

Thanx Zap!  Couple of questions for you.  First what are the 1/2 tone 1/4 etc......  In the past with my old computer I would record in Sonar 7  and use the 1/2 out and things worked fine with my Emu 0404 sound card.  Well they worked as fine as I could get them to work with a weak cpu and limited memory.  Aslo I plan on getting Presonus Audiobox 22VSL as an external.  My question about that is:  Can I use that as my media soundcard as well as my recording sound card?  Again I appreciate the help.

1/2, etc are audio streams that come across over usb. specifically 1/2 is a stereo stream, although you can split them up and record 1 mono and 2 mono to separate tracks if you wanted to.

don't forget that the x3 comes with pod farm 1 plugin for free!

for this reason i always recorded 7/8 because then i could change amps and effects without reperforming the track... sometimes it helps when mixing time comes.

pretty much any modern interface will allow you to use it for windows/media sounds as well as your recordings... so you'll be fine either way.

You have to plug the speakers into the x3 you will not use your internal sound card the x3 becomes your sound card.

The X3 or any other USB audio device newly plugged in does NOT have to become the only device used by the system. Users can set Windows to use whichever connected devices they want for playback and/or recording, and good audio programs will also allow their own settings to override these. 

• Downvote 1

although YOU can do what you say to some degree... It makes things unnecessarily complicated.

true you can use another card to play your windows stuff... but when recording you need to use the same card as both your input and output.

you can do this exclusively through your recording software... if you like switching your speakers back and forth or having multiple sets...

and the ASIO spec does require the same input and output device for recording...

again if you want to complicate matters you can do that off to the side within your recording software...

but most users want to play backing tracks or play along with youtube etc.

the correct and easy way is to let the x3 become your soundcard and use it as intended as an ASIO device within your software.

regardless of your apparent disagreement of my wording, this is no less correct.

The X3 or any other USB audio device newly plugged in does NOT have to become the only device used by the system. Users can set Windows to use whichever connected devices they want for playback and/or recording, and good audio programs will also allow their own settings to override these. 

So, what, when someone disagrees with your massive oversimplifications, you delete half their post without ever replying to it, then vote them down?

Classy.

At the risk of you deleting this, too, I will point out that ASIO does not allow anyone to use any interface as their sound card. ASIO is for direct communication between one application and an audio device only. Not system-wide sound or anything. That is done over DirectSound.

And again: the default switching to a USB device when plugged in can be reverted and has nothing to do with ASIO.

• Downvote 1

most people like things simplified to the point of easy understanding... i'm sure there's a ton of details about ASIO that noone cares about.

how about you calm down... i said that you could change it if you wanted to... you win... yay you... i still think for most people simple and easy is correct.

i have no less than 4 different interfaces on my machine... and i know how to manage them... 

i have no idea, why you decided to drop into this resolved thread and try to start an argument, other than you like to use your interfaces differently and want the whole world to know it's possible.

and now they do. again congratulations for a mission accomplished.

now please stop with the insults and your attempts to turn it into some personal attack.

for further guidance when posting, please review the terms of use: http://line6.com/termsofuse.html

Some of us, and it seems we might be a minority, value accurate information more than oversimplifications and hence want info posted online to be as correct as possible for the sake of posterity. The mere fact that something is easier to understand doesn’t make it correct, and posting the simplest option as if it’s the only option is misleading. And a couple of things you said were simply incorrect.

You need to stop painting me as some bogieman who’s insulting and personally attacking you. I never did any such thing. Even the stuff that you or someone else deleted without explanation or admission was nothing of the sort. People need to stop misinterpreting whenever someone else questions their ideas as an insult and/or a personal attack.

the information i presented IS accurate.

the x3 WILL become your soundcard...

just because you have the option to change it does not make that statement any less than accurate.

and you STILL have to use the same ASIO card for input and output within your software...

so why would most people care about the fact that you can redirect your windows sounds elsewhere....

they wouldn't.... (most people)

for those that do care... you've now let them know... again mission accomplished.

now quit beating the dead horse.