Photo

Variax 300 And Hd 500 .. How Well Do They Work?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 beatle123

beatle123

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

variax 300 and HD 500 .. how well do they work???

does it work ?? any difference between the 300 and the tyler 59 besides the quality of the guitar body itself??  

#2 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Big difference in the modeling and flexibility.  Now you can do alternate tunings and 12 string at the same time.  Can't do that on any of the earlier Variax models (Pre JTV)

#3 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I'm sure they could of made it able to change tunings on the fly, but they probably wanted to limit it to about the same features the x3L gave to the Gen1 Variaxes to influence people to update to JTV if they want those features.

Personally I would love if I could change the tunings instantly with the Variax tuner on the 500, but I understand they have a product they're trying to sell you.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#4 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

You should be able to change tunings on the fly if you save the tunings to the custom positoins.  You can change the Variax model selections with the X3L.  You just can't have alternate tunings and 12 String at the same time with anything but the JTV Variax.  That's because the JTV has enough processor power to do alternate tunings and 12 string at the same time and the earlier versions do not.

#5 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

You should be able to change tunings on the fly if you save the tunings to the custom positoins.  You can change the Variax model selections with the X3L.  You just can't have alternate tunings and 12 String at the same time with anything but the JTV Variax.  That's because the JTV has enough processor power to do alternate tunings and 12 string at the same time and the earlier versions do not.

Yeah, but I mean the Variax tuning thing on the JTV where you can tune the strings on the fly on a non-preset basis.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#6 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

You can get about the same result with the old Variax by saving a custom model with the tuning you want to switch to.  Move the 5 way and you have the alternate tuned version.

#7 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15721 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

the beauty of the original variaxes.... if you use them with a pod... (for sure xt/x3, haven't tried HD's) is that you can overwrite 100% of the guitars withe custom anything... tunings etc...

and STILL access all the original unmodified models....

you'll see 2 sets of models in gearbox... the "u" models (user, the ones you access from the dial) and the "f" models (factory) you can only select these by forcing it within the preset on the pod.

anyway probably old news... but i always loved that feature... and it was always this obscure little detail that was never documented anywhere.

#8 michaellbon

michaellbon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

How do i change tunings on my varix 300 using HD500? I don't have that variax workbench usb thing..

#9 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

I don't think you can set up to change tunings with the HD500 and the older variax.  You have to set up the alternate tunings on the Variax and save them.  This is my underdstanding - I have not used my old 500 with my HD500x now that I have a JTV.

#10 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11514 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

Charlie_Watt is correct. Variax 300 alternate tunings are not available using only the HD500. The alternate tuning must be created using Workbench and stored as part of the model definition on the Variax. The HD500 can then select the stored model, which includes the stored alternate tuning.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users