Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best amplifier to pair with pod xt

Hey there giant killer, As far as pairing a POD with an amp, you want to keep in mind that you are using the amp only to power the speakers. I find it best to plug into the POWER AMP IN, or EFFECTS LOOP RETURN. These are usually 1/4 "  inputs on the rear of the amp. For a small room or bedroom I'll usually take two small amps[ around 10 watts], and plug the right POD output into one and left POD output to the other. Dont deny yourself the joy of playing in stereo. Also, when playing through speakers try turning the cabinet emulator off, if you don't do this what you hear through headphones will be totally different than whats coming out of the speakers. If you dont have an amp with power amp in or efeects loop return plug into the front of the amp and start with a clean setting, a pod patch without delay, chorus or distortion, gain or reverb and all your amp knobs at 12 oclock. i hope this helps.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it was me ide just run from the headphone out into the "line in, or CD/MP3" input most amps have a way to plug a device into the amp to jam with it more or less just puts the signal directly into the power section of the amp by passing the guitar preamp part of the amp.

Ideally would be a 2X10 or a 2X12 combo and run the headphone out in stereo into the line in, in stereo if the line in on stereo amps are stereo? This way you could get the full effect of the chorus FX or the stereo delays which IMO make the tones sound more full and wide sounding.

I really like the sound of a "wet/dry" setup where one side is just the raw guitar sound and the other side has some delay, reverb or chorus it seems to really make the tone more lively.

The mono out of the XT still sounds good threw the front of a combo amp wit the right "output settings" though.

One thing i do when ever i buy an amp now whether its a combo or a head i make sure it has a send and return because with units like the pods the return on the amp gives the amp the flexability to run these units and expand what you can do with the amp later if you get tired of the stock amps sound. With amp modeling getting better and better you can always hook something to it and use its power.

Tech21 builds an amp called a "power engine" that thing is ideal for units like a pod, its just a power amp with speakers no preamp. IMO that amp will never be outdated