Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got a Helix !! Connecting it to a DT50

sosmusic

Greetings !!

Just picked up a shiny new Helix. Have it hooked up to my DT50 head with Line6 Link. Recommendations for setting the topology on the front panel ? Right now I have it on voicing 4 and pentode. Any other recommendations for settings ? I play primarily high to mid gain. I am aware of the options to set it up with midi cables, just not ready to go there yet.

Also, for this type of set up what option should I be using in the Amp Block ? Amp & Cab, Amp, or Preamp ? I'm assuming amp and cab is for running when I'm running Helix into a Daw or PA. I am a former HD500 user.

Cheers !!!

Greetings !!

Just picked up a shiny new Helix. Have it hooked up to my DT50 head with Line6 Link. Recommendations for setting the topology on the front panel ? Right now I have it on voicing 4 and pentode. Any other recommendations for settings ? I play primarily high to mid gain. I am aware of the options to set it up with midi cables, just not ready to go there yet.

Also, for this type of set up what option should I be using in the Amp Block ? Amp & Cab, Amp, or Preamp ? I'm assuming amp and cab is for running when I'm running Helix into a Daw or PA. I am a former HD500 user.

Cheers !!!

You need to search a thread on the Forum where some guys were doing this and doing a four cable method type look up and we're very enthusiastic about the sounds they were getting

The Helix manual recommends preamp models and I agree.

Since there is no L6 Link control of DT yet, I just go Helix 1/4" out to DT power amp in. This physically bypasses all of the DT modeling rather than shutting everything off in DT edit.

I actually like plugging into the front of DT still from time to time for comparisons, etc. It's a good gig backup too to leave all of the DT modeling on in case Helix dies.

Nothing at all bad about running a DT50 with Helix, into a good cab. It sounds great. It's just a shame that Line 6 seems to have all but abandoned the "Dream Rig" idea and the L6-Link functions, passing nothing but audio from the port now from Helix. Yes I've read all the excuses as to why that is, but it still baffles me as to why that port that has the same "trademarked" name the on two different (HD-500 and Helix) units, yet work completely different from one another. But fear not,  because the DT-50 series amp is still one Hellova amp.

Try the full amp models. I was always stuck on the idea of having to use preamp models to connect to the DT25, and they sounded OK but a little thin. I switched to using the full models from the Helix into the DT and it sounded amazing. 
I blanked out the modelling in the DT on Channel B (plenty of discussion on how to do that elsewhere on here). I played with MIDI to change topologies etc but for the last few gigs I ended up creating patches where I set everything to Voicing IV, no matter what amp I was using. That worked pretty well too - judging by the compliments from sound guys on my tones.
Here's a demo of using the Helix with the DT25 like this (along with my Tim pedal - I still prefer it and the Butler Tube Driver to the modelled versions).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_OhUFVp61M