Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

to buy or not to buy?

baldric

I like it too, and it gives me some hope for a bit more longevity of Variax HD tech and my JTV-69.

I'm betting $1200 like the JTV-89. Although it doesn't have a Floyd Rose, so maybe $999?

Wonder if there will be any processor improvements in this model. I like the sound of the Variax HD models, but the latency of alternate and detunings is annoying. Maybe that's why they made a baritone for the tech metal guys. Precision is key for that stuff.

From what I understand, he used to physically detune the 89, so maybe he is able to do even more so on the Shuriken, and still get authenticity when he goes down to A on "Sick" - got a spare 9 minutes? O.K. with the "F" word, and unhealthy use of chainsaws? Get on board weirdos.....

12FT :ph34r:

I am the proud owner of a JTV59 and love it to bits but. after a year the frets are well worn. might need a back up before I am playing a fretless! I like the looks of this! What do you guys rekon to it?

Two thoughts:

1) "Signature models" of anything tend to be comically overpriced. Add some fancy electronics, and God only knows...though time will. But I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.

2) Frets are like brake pads...they're a consumable part. Unless you go stainless (which I highly recommend), sooner or later you need a grind and polish, and eventually a re-fret. Stainless frets will eventually wear too, but their lifespan is MANY times longer than traditional frets. The first guitar I put stainless frets on was about 4 years ago...it's a daily player, strung with 11's, and there's hardly a mark on them. Still 98% of the mirror finish they had on day 1. And while you can expect to spend $200-$300 for a re-fret (that's for regular frets, stainless will typically cost a bit more) it's still a fraction of what you'll spend on this thing.

$1,400 US

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/Variax-Shuriken-Electric-Guitar.gc

No extra charge for one that comes with a plink!

Lmao...

And I have to admit, I'm surprised at the price...I thought it would be more than that. Either way, it's just not my cup of tea. Reverse headstocks always looked odd to me, and the inverted fret markers doubly so...just looks like they stuck a lefty neck on a righty body.

I must be getting old...;)

I really like it but I'm not considering buying one.  I don't see that it would add much value over my JTV-69.  I'm not surprised at the price.  I figured it would cost a bit more than the current offerings but not enough to blow everyone out.  I don't know what percentage of guitar players are into baritones but I would imagine it's not a huge market.

I'm very happy that it's breathing some new life into Variax technology though.

I'm doubtful but I hope that it's a huge success that leads to more future models.

• 2 months later...

Two thoughts:

1) "Signature models" of anything tend to be comically overpriced. Add some fancy electronics, and God only knows...though time will. But I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.

2) Frets are like brake pads...they're a consumable part. Unless you go stainless (which I highly recommend), sooner or later you need a grind and polish, and eventually a re-fret. Stainless frets will eventually wear too, but their lifespan is MANY times longer than traditional frets. The first guitar I put stainless frets on was about 4 years ago...it's a daily player, strung with 11's, and there's hardly a mark on them. Still 98% of the mirror finish they had on day 1. And while you can expect to spend $200-$300 for a re-fret (that's for regular frets, stainless will typically cost a bit more) it's still a fraction of what you'll spend on this thing.

I totally agree with you on both points and to be honest, a lack of colour choice is a bit of a turn off in my opinion. I will most likely go down the fret dressing followed by the stainless re-fret route, the only trouble is that I am miles away from civilization in northern Spain and no one I know can recommend a decent, local within reason, luthier, so it's probably going to have to wait until my usual summer visit back home to England, unless by any chance there is someone on here who is from my neck of the woods (Asturias) who could throw me a line/name.

• 2 weeks later...